CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much?

I currently need new tires, so I called the local bike shop to get a quote. They said the wheels would roughly be $370 installed. Then for a diagnostic another $40-$60, and just for the hell of it (and me being lazy) they said a complete fluid service would cost almost $200 ($70 for fluids, $120 for labor). Is it just me or is that high? Maybe it's because I live in Hawaii?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Default RE: How much is too much?

Good Lord - that is more than I have in my bike.

I have never shopped for Bike tires, but what I always do with my cars is order the tires online and then slap a 20 in a guys hand at the local brake shop to pop them on and off. Doing something like that might save you some money there.

Do the fluid change yourself - you will spend more time driving the bike TO the shop than just doing it yourself, and between the labor charge, the diagnostic charge, and the upcharge on the fluids, I bet you'll save 250 bucks...

Old 12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like WAY too much for that. Definitely do it yourself.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I order the tires, pull the wheels myself and take them to the bike shop. Its usually around $30 eachto have them mounted. What is a complete fluid service? Anti-freeze, brake lines, fork fluid, oil? If it is all those things then the price really isnt too bad if you have ever done it yourself. if it just anti-freeze and motor oil, which is what I suspect then it's way too much. Also what are you diagnosing? The cycle shops in my area couldnt diagnose there way out the front door. Get a service manual or ask questions on here about particular problems you may be having. It will save you a few bucks.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Lol. Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely won't be getting anything else done there. I'll do it myself. Thanks for the feedback.