CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

how much oil behind stator cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy how much oil behind stator cover?

Dropped my f4 for the first time a couple of days ago ... after about 20 minutes, I got it started back up, and it was losing quite a bit of oil from behind the stator cover. (at least I'm hoping the cover is the only source of loss). Anyway, it was pretty much all lost while I had it running - once I saw it was losing oil I killed it. After I got home and took the cover off (which now has a nice crack and a good size hole), it was decently dry in there - is it normal to lose a lot of oil from the stator cover or is it probably coming from somewhere else??

BTW - this is my first post, but I've been lurking awhile. hi all!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM

I have an f3 - and I'm not a pro - but I changed mine after replacing the entire stator. There is a small amount that will drain out, that can be minimized from leaning it right - but nothing thats going to drain your engine.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM

I'm not too sure about the stator side while the bike is off. But while the bike is running the stator side of the motor is getting quite a bit of oil. There are gears that need to be lubricated under there. =) I'd imagine also that while the bike is on the kickstand some oil might drain into the cover of the stator... But I'm not positive about that =/

Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

about the same as if you pull your clutch cover... MAX you are talking about 2 shot glasses full ... on a center stand or bike stands maybe 1 shot glass full ... on kick stand ... id say no morethan 2 shot glasses full .. i have changed them track side and its minimal

Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM

So while the engine is RUNNING, is it possible to lose a majority of the oil through a pretty good sized hole in this cover? I really hope there isn't another source - I really didn't go down THAT hard...

This sucks! Getting my new stator cover via UPS on Monday.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM

you do NOT change ANYTHING as the bike is running.. are you kidding with that statement ?
wow i dont know how to reply ...

Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM

No, it was running and shooting oil at the accident site. I'm not seeing any other holes or cracks and trying to decide whether or not it's possible to lose all the oil through the cover while it was running that night. I'm not doing anything to it until I get the new cover, and am not running it until after all is said and done...

Old 11-20-2009, 05:06 PM

you can lose ALOT if the crack is big enough and if the bike is running long enough or was on its side

i would not and hope it did not run too long as you could starve the engine

Old 11-20-2009, 07:59 PM

You will be able to tell once you get your new stator cover if you are leaking oil anywhere else on the bike. But I bet all the oil you lost was most likely all from the stator crack. New stator covers aren't bad price wise huh? Even OEM I only dropped 55 bucks on my new one back a couple of months ago.