CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How hard do I need to brake to get it locked?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard do I need to brake to get it locked?

Yesterday I was riding around my town @ speed of 50mph or so.
Some idiot driver right infront of me slammed on his brake(I was kinda following him closely:fault on my side)
and I hit the front and rear brake so hardI thought oh **** its going to get locked up but it didn't...Thank god.

Not that I ever want it to be but how hard do I need to brake to get it locked? Just wondering.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Default RE: How hard do I need to brake to get it locked?

It's going to very between bikes (tires, rider weight, suspension settings, road conditions etc...)

Take it to a parking lot and do some emergency stops.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Manic

It's going to very between bikes (tires, rider weight, suspension settings, road conditions etc...)

Take it to a parking lot and do some emergency stops.
+1 go practice in a parkinglot and find n learn your bikes limits, you dont wanna find out the way you almost did.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 PM

I wouldn't even TRY practice locking your front brake. Your bike will start sliding to the side before your front brake locks up.Once your bike starts sliding and THEN you lock your front up your screwed. You can practice locking your back brake up and still maintain control though. Brake your front first then your back while using throttle braking.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

I wouldn't even TRY practice locking your front brake. Your bike will start sliding to the side before your front brake locks up.Once your bike starts sliding and THEN you lock your front up your screwed. You can practice locking your back brake up and still maintain control though. Brake your front first then your back while using throttle braking.
nice thing about locking the front brake tho is you can let off it unlike the rear brake.

remember front locks up release, rear locks ride it out.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

nice thing about locking the front brake tho is you can let off it unlike the rear brake.

remember front locks up release, rear locks ride it out.
the bad thing about locking up your front brake is, it happens so fast you go flying off, or your bike slams into the ground...

Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 AM

Exactly, Last week someone stopped suddenly in front of me andI went down so fast that I didn't have time to realize what happened

Old 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM

exact same thing happened to me drew.. if you learn how to use the engine braking with the front and rear brakes then you'll be able to break so fast! you have to watch whats behind you tho cuz cars take a lot longer to stop than a bike does!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Heres what i have found.. Not sure on how much force it takes but if a dog runs out and tries to bite you and you just happen to be in second gear and pull the front tire up and then realize that theres a nice curve ahead that the rear brake will lock and send you sliding sideways thro the curve.. not a good feeling

Old 05-05-2008, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: 283racin

Heres what i have found.. Not sure on how much force it takes but if a dog runs out and tries to bite you and you just happen to be in second gear and pull the front tire up and then realize that theres a nice curve ahead that the rear brake will lock and send you sliding sideways thro the curve.. not a good feeling
popping a wheelie is never a safe route to take lol.

Quick Reply: How hard do I need to brake to get it locked?