CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014 | 03:28 PM
|
Default Help please...

hi all i hope someone can help,
so tonight i was on my way home, sitting at some lights, then suddenly the revs start to rapidly drop and the bike dies... i manage to get the bike going again with the chock all the way open and the revs drop again and the bike dies... then wont start at all. gets to the point wer the bat is now dead from me trying to start the bike. i attempted to bump it in second but no luck, it just wont start and the revs just dont go up as i try.

so iv had to leave the bike where it is (NOT safe) and get a friend to pick me up.

im gunna pull a sickie at work tomo and get to the bike with my tools, even just to get it home!!!

any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

thinking maybe a fuel issue??? dont know

thanks

Old 03-31-2014 | 03:38 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM

Is there fuel in it? Do you have a reserve pick up on the fuel petcock?

Old 03-31-2014 | 06:43 PM
|

filled up only yesterday, covered maybe 30 miles... and yer i does, iv had a look and it set right.

the fuel pump clicks on

if i cant get it moving ill have to pay for a van, but i hope it wont come to that

Old 03-31-2014 | 11:39 PM

Dude the only roadside checks youre gonna be able to perform are the basics...and even these wint be easy roadside...

Fuel? Fuel pressure, flow, etc

Fire? Do you have spark? Is it STRONG spark?

And compression. Valve tune, cam timing, etc...

That's what an engine needs to run. Find out which one is missing and we'll talk details.

Old 04-04-2014 | 02:33 PM
|

so the problem ended up being the fuel pump, this came after changing the sparkplugs, air filter and cleaning the carbs, i then started it with some hard start spray right into the carbs and it kicked over!!! yay i found the problem, and this was my first time under a tank as it wer

thanks for the advise tho guys!!!

other than spending £80 on a new official pump any ideas???

i have it bypassed atm but it wont allow it to stay running so will need a new pump

Old 04-04-2014 | 05:47 PM

Sounds like youre not getting fuel alright! Any F3 gurus wanna chime in with some basic checks? I could walk him through it in the dark on an F4

Old 04-06-2014 | 01:00 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Do you have a service manual? If so the troubleshooting section would have helped you narrow it down without replacing the spark plugs and cleaning the carbs. If you have bypassed the pump and the bike still has a hard time running. You might still have problems that the pump was hiding. Make sure that the petcock is clean, the fuel filter might need to be replaced and depending on how you cleaned you cleaned your carbs, you should balance them. And the F4 does not have a reserve, the up and down positions are the same = on.