CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help!! Overheating and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
I checked and the coolant is premixed. It's also pretty hard to get engine ice here because I'm outside of the US.

What I did do, which I forgot, was to burp the system. I let it run for a couple minutes with the cap loosely on and some cooler came out when revved. I did it a again a few hours later just before a ride and had to fill up the reservoir a bit. Perhaps there was a ton of air inside. I'll have to check today (by riding around in the city for some stop and go traffic) to see if it's better than it was. I hope so!

You have to remove the cap completely both radiator and reservoir. Then let engine run for 5 to 6 minutes and give it 4 hard snaps to the throttle. Fill the radiator up and replace your caps.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCBR1313
Update!! Changed the battery problem fixed!! I am installing a battery tender, all issues were resolved must have been a combo with plugs and battery.
****, more stuff to buy . I might change to battery soon too. I don't know how old the current one is. It's still strange though because I can ride with my heated and grips on and nothing happens. As soon as the fan kicks in (even without the heated stuff on) it starts bogging on me.. I ride daily and the battery gives 13 or so volts... Could it really be the battery?

Old 03-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by RedCBR1313
You have to remove the cap completely both radiator and reservoir. Then let engine run for 5 to 6 minutes and give it 4 hard snaps to the throttle. Fill the radiator up and replace your caps.
I didn't feel like taking any fairings off again so I just unscrewed the pressure cap thing (can't take it out without having to remove the airscoop thing). I burped it and it was fine so I guess it isn't absolutely necessary to remove the cap completely.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM

okay took my bike to work yesterday and the same issue while the traffic was jammed. i increased the rpm on the bike as well so i can get to home. I recently changed the battery but i haven't check the coolant yet. let me know guys exactly what fixed the issue. thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Default Double check

Even though the OP changed the R/R and that DIDN'T work for him, it still sounds like it's the problem you're having.

It's common problem, and those are classic symptoms.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 AM

I don't even notice it anymore. Doing the coolant flush really helped in my case.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always wonder if the replacement R/R is the 'real honda' one and not a finned aftermarket..

This is the Honda replacement:
Name:  DSC00486.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  152.5 KB

This is a cheapie ebay replacement that has fins for $10.

Just posting this for future searches...

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Sorry for posting this problem again in a later thread, i did not see this one ... Having the same problems. going to change the r/r but now you guys say thats not the cause?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM

if i move the r/r to a different location will that help?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM

I put the new 07 R/R on mine and notice an improvement, does stutter and run as rough, but my bike is running hot like a lot of other peoples. I'm thinking about cleaning out the radiator and reflushing my coolant system soon. It runs great when on the freeway, but stop and go traffic the fan kicks on a lot, more than it used to last time I had it running. I'm also thinking about upgrading all the power and ground wires for the bike and see if that opens up some power flow with the new R/R.

Quick Reply: Help!! Overheating and stalling