CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help, my new F4 is overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, my new F4 is overheating!

So in the last 2 weeks I got a 2000 f4, this is my first bi.ke so I am not too good at diagn.osing pro.blems. Any.way, the bike seems to be running quite hot. On highway ty.pe speeds it seems pre.tty good at around half.way on the temp gau.ge. In city tr.affic the last few days it has been at alm.ost the red line on the temp gau.ge. Today when I was driving it it hit the red, started drip.ping co.olant in traffic, and wh.en I pull.ed over at my bud.dies it started hemo.raging coo.lant out the bottom and the bike started steam.ing (per.haps because of the cool.ant on the engine/ exhaust?) I did top up the cool.ant but the bike was ag.ain run.ning qui.te hot on the way ho.me.

I gue.ss my ques.tion is wh.ere should the bike temp be for regular stop and go ty.pe city driving, and of course, whats wrong with my bike and how do I fix it? Thanks!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Default RE: Help, my new F4 is overheating!

sorry for all of the "."'s I was told that some words will make the post not work...and I had a heck of a time making it work.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Simular problem today, I tested the bike in rush hour traffic again (almost 30 degrees C outside). My coolant was topped up and it redlined on the temp gauge and started spilling again. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Or are these bikes just not designed to sit in traffic?

Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 PM

my bike did the exact same thing... do you hear your fan kick in? Turns out that was the problem with mine... blown fan fuse, problem solved.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:32 AM

well...your bike will get hot sitting in traffic but not that hot...check your fan and the fuse for it...had a similar problem with my f2...i just grounded it for always on

Old 08-10-2008, 05:22 PM

I can hear the fan coming on; it goes on anytime the heat goes over half way up the gauge usually. Is there anything else that could be a problem? Lik.e lonewo.lfcdr said, I would expect the bike to get hot in traffic but not enough to redline and lose coolant.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:25 PM

Possibly a failing or failed waterpump? Bad thermostat? Gotta check the stupid stuff before you start spending money...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 PM

I heard someone say it could be an air buble in the coolant system that is stopping it from flowing? Is that possible? How would one drain the coolant system and remove an air bubble? Again, sorry this is my first bike.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:30 PM

No one thinks draining out all of the coolant will help? Should I just go ahead and swap out the thermostat and waterpump?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM

just bypass the switch and put a manual one so you can turn the fan off and on yourself thats wat i did with my problem

Quick Reply: Help, my new F4 is overheating!