CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

HELP! - F4 vs F3... Need help making a decision... quick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! - F4 vs F3... Need help making a decision... quick!

Ok guys, so I've been hitting up the guys in the F3 section about a 98 F3 I was interested in possibly purchasing, and I need some help and honest opinions on which would be the better purchase. Both have clean titles btw.

I will send you links to both bikes and if you can look at both and tell me which you think is the better deal...

1998 f3 http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/1797400910.html

Guy has said bike is in great working order, tires have a decent amount of tread still left on them, 17,000 miles and has been maintained well.

1999 f4 http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/1807351836.html

Guy said the bike is in perfect working condition. Last season he bought a set of after market f4 fairings that are in perfect condition with no blemishes. He airbrushed all those redwing logos onto it (which, dont get me wrong, im from michigan and love the wings, but im not a diehard fan and find them to be rather tacky, and was wondering how hard/expensive it would be to airbrush those logos off?

Also, He still has the old fairings, factory red and black, the left side fairing is cracked and so is the front wheel cover fairing, but he said he'll throw them in for free. I've never heard of a "muzzy" exhaust, but thats the aftermarket one he has on there, and said he still has the stock exhaust and will throw that in for free as well, as well as throwing in a honda racing jacket, my size.

To be honest, I like the look (or should i say paint job) of the f3 better. But i've heard that the f4 is an overall better bike, and if there are no glaring issues and I could have one or the other for the same price (talked them both to 2,000)... which would you pick?

I need help making a decision asap as i have scheduled to go meet with both of these people soon, but both are far and in opposite directions so I probably wouldnt be able to meet with both.

any help/input/knowledge would be GREATLY appreciated. btw, if it counts for anything, this will be my first bike (I took the MSF course)

THANKS!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 AM

It is hard to say. If you go buy new compared to price the F4 is the better deal but in the pictures the F3 look way cleaner. Guess it will come down to personal preference and feel because both are different and will feel and act differently. See if you can test drive.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Someone told me (I think here on the forums) to stay away from F4's because they only made them for 2 years. F3's are more common, and F4i's are very common compared...

If you were to need parts or something, an F4 is a lot harder to shop for... I wanted a 2001 F4i, or a 2003 RR but found the F3 for $800 and couldn't walk away from that deal... too good...

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my F4.. I was looking at F4s and F3s... I test rode both... IMO the F4 feels lighter (actually is alum vs steel frame). The F4 has better brakes too... its an F4i with a carb... but then again mine carburates excellent... who knows.. there are some other differences, but you can't go wrong with either...

I am still lusting after a Smokin Joe's 98... I prefer the 97-98 tail to the 95-6s... but thats just me... I also like the 'more open' look of the F4 fairings vs the F3's "all closed' look... its what you like really...

I am happy I got my F4 over the F3... would I like to get an F4i? Sure! Love those... but I personally wouldnt sell the F4 to get an F3....

Parts are not that tough to get... and there is much crossover between it and the F4i..

Good luck
Adam

Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM

i have a 2000 F4 and love it but the f3 you are looking at does look better maybe ask for more pic on the F4. and test ride both like bammerman said.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by honda_s2k_racing
Someone told me (I think here on the forums) to stay away from F4's because they only made them for 2 years...
That's not good advice. F4s are solid bikes, & as mentioned...have much crossover/in common btwn it & the F4i. I definitely see more F4s on the road than F3s...that's for sure...& I ride a lot in a region w/a lot of bikes.

Originally Posted by honda_s2k_racing
If you were to need parts or something, an F4 is a lot harder to shop for...
Not so. My factory Honda shop has had everything I've ever needed for the F4...& yes, I can still get brand new parts for it.

As for comparing the two... Well, both are Hondas ;-) However, I've ridden both & the F4 is a better bike. Not to say that the two above would be the same comparison b/c they obviously are not...one seems to be well taken care of...while I'm not so sure about the other one. But, if both were in reasonably the same condition, I'd take the F4 every time.

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-24-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
That's not good advice. F4s are solid bikes, & as mentioned...have much crossover/in common btwn it & the F4i. I definitely see more F4s on the road than F3s...that's for sure...& I ride a lot in a region w/a lot of bikes.

Not so. My factory Honda shop has had everything I've ever needed for the F4...& yes, I can still get brand new parts for it.

As for comparing the two... Well, both are Hondas ;-) However, I've ridden both & the F4 is a better bike. Not to say that the two above would be the same comparison b/c they obviously are not...one seems to be well taken care of...while I'm not so sure about the other one. But, if both were in reasonably the same condition, I'd take the F4 every time.
I apologize if I offend you :P I don't have any issue with F4s at all, actually I love them. I settled for an F3, if I had an unlimited budget, I wouldn't have bought either. I'd be sitting on a 2009 600RR. My F3 was only $800, in need of some TLC, that I'm happy to give it.

The info I gave is not fact, its opinion, and its not even my opinion. I read it somewhere on this or another CBR forum... thats why I worded it this way:
...Someone told me (I think here on the forums)...

Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM

As far as asthetics the F3 is better looking but if I remember correctly the F4 is a feul injected bike and in the long run will cost less as you wont have to clean the carbs. That is of course if it doesnt have any major problems. Personally I wouldnt choose an F4 over MY F3 but its a matter of preferance. They are both good bikes. As for the graphics, it isnt, or shouldnt be, that hard to find a shop or independant person who can paint her up any way you please. As for a choice, thats completely up to you man. Definitely ride both to feel them out as they will ride different and get as much info on both that you can and then maybe post it so we can give you more pertinent advice depending on the mechanics and such. Good luck with it

Old 06-25-2010, 11:45 AM

so the extra set of fairings, stock exhaust, and riding jacket arent really factoring into this im guessing then? arent fairings (even stock ones) still decently valuable? maybe I could sell them to get a new paintjob, or even throw them on the bike and then when I (inevitable, so i hear) put the bike down since im a beginner, i'll already have an extra set of brand new fairings to throw on it.

I suppose, given the advice i've been given here, and the things ive read online, that im leaning toward the F4... Although that F3 *does* look pretty.. but if the two ran the same, would it be a safe bet to take the f4 for the same price?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ej22turbo
i have a 2000 F4 and love it but the f3 you are looking at does look better maybe ask for more pic on the F4. and test ride both like bammerman said.
Where did that come from? I have a 96 F3 and 08 ZZR600.

Quick Reply: HELP! - F4 vs F3... Need help making a decision... quick!