CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help!!!! Bike died halfway to school, and won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just adjust your idle and it should be fine when you start riding it again you might find it will sort its self out and you'll need to turn the idle down again, its just something that happens sometimes when bikes cut out whilst riding, i have no idea why though

I'd say change the light's fuses i know youve checked them allready but sometimes they can go and still look fine and its a cheap place to start, if that doesnt work get on to testing the relays with a amp-meter (I Belive thats what its called)

And not to state the obvious but you said you had the fairings off, make sure you've connected everything back up proply.

Is it just the headlight and taillight you've lost or is it the indicaters as well??

Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 AM

1. In your tool kit (hopefully you have one) is a spark plug socket too that is just long enough to reach the plugs and just short enough to clear the frame.

2. (Just questions... I don't know what I'm talking about) How old is the battery? Do you have a trickle charger suited for a motorcycle battery? Seems strange to me that all of a sudden your lights don't work.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Yer i was gunna suggest getting a optimate trickle charger but then rememberd he said it fired up and from my experiences the lights usually still have enough power long after the strater doesnt turn because of a battery.

How i did my plugs on my f3 (Sounds like the F4 has the same problem with the frame as the F3 does) is i got a socket pice one of the tall ones that fitted the plug dropped that in the hole then dropped the extension bar down there that was long enough to just stick out of the hole then i could put the socket wrench on to the extension loosen the plug off take the socket wrench off and pull the extension, socket piece and plug out in one go.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM

ya i have one of the "special sockets" but i haven't tried removing it yet. ya everything was hooked up and i already tried messing with the idle adjuster and it didn't help. my friends dad is a big time car buff and races all the time. he says he thinks its the spark plugs, which i already kinda thought ne way. off to do some more finicking!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by canhead64
so i just put the new fuel filter in and now it will idle. only problem is that it idles at like 3 or 4 hundred rpm instead of 13 or 14 hundred, if u hit the gas it dies, and my headlight and turn signal don't work anymore. new wiring harness???? i don't feel like checking every wire, that would take forever.
You're not really thinking of getting a new wiring harness just because the turn signals and headlight don't work are you? You may want to do what STREETFIGHTER88 said and check your connections. Are your gauges out as well? And I would check your fuse again just in case.

Let us know what your spark plugs look like when know.

I was working on a Honda Magna a couple of months ago. The thing would idle but wouldn't rev at all. I took the spark plugs out and they were fouled up a bit from being flooded by the carbs and under more stressful combustion chamber conditions couldn't keep up with the demand of the motor and just died. I cleaned them up with a pneumatic spark plug cleaner and it ran great after that.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by MotoDan
You're not really thinking of getting a new wiring harness just because the turn signals and headlight don't work are you? You may want to do what STREETFIGHTER88 said and check your connections. Are your gauges out as well? And I would check your fuse again just in case.

Let us know what your spark plugs look like when know.

I was working on a Honda Magna a couple of months ago. The thing would idle but wouldn't rev at all. I took the spark plugs out and they were fouled up a bit from being flooded by the carbs and under more stressful combustion chamber conditions couldn't keep up with the demand of the motor and just died. I cleaned them up with a pneumatic spark plug cleaner and it ran great after that.
no i said i smelled something electrical, that was my reason. and i don't want the damn thing on fire! i did check all connections and ya my guages work fine. and i checked all 6 fuses again. still can't get to the spark plugs, gotta get a special tool to get it them out. i don't have anything that will do it. tried everything i could think of. so hopefully i can figure out how to get the damn plugs out. i am still amazed at how high someone must have been to design that like it is. its stupid!

Old 11-26-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by canhead64
i am still amazed at how high someone must have been to design that like it is. its stupid!
Haha yer the first time i took my airbox off my F3 and saw what it was like underthere i also thaugh "What F*cking mug designed this, i should have stayed with kawasaki"

Could you take it to a shop to do for ya or is that a no go on the money front, either that or drop the motor out to make it easier to get to

Thats a joke by the way

Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 AM

i finally got hem out. i couldn't find a damn swivel anywhere. my uncle had one though. the spark plugs look fine to me. but it might be internal so i am gonna get some new ones on friday. hopefully it works after that. cross your fingers!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 PM

it works now. runs like a charm. i woulda bet good money it was the fuel delivery though? shows how much i know.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:50 AM

So it was the plugs?

Quick Reply: Help!!!! Bike died halfway to school, and won't start.