CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Headlight Issue...help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Issue...help!

Ok, ok so its not as urgent as what it looks but I am getting this weird thing happening with my bike. I go to start in the morning and when i turn the key the headlight is on, i hit the igintion button it turns off and the bike starts. no stuttering just real smooth...light off, engine starts. I let it sit for a minute, turn the bike off. i turn the key on again, headlight turns on, hit the ignition, same thing as before. I turn the bike off again, turn the key to on, headlight is on, hit ignition, headlight stays on for about 2 seconds, turn off the bike. fourth times a charm...it works as its supposed to this time. turn key, headlight one, hit ignition, headlight stays on, bike starts, I then proceed to let it sit for 3 three minutes then head off class.

this is really annoying since i just put my bike back together a month and a half ago. and it was working fine up until a week ago. i'd hate to take all the plastics off again. only other thing i know that is wrong with it is that it runs just a little rich, other than that it works perfect. does anybody have any idea what might be wrong??? I'd sure appreciate an help.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The headlight is supposed to temporarily go off during the starting process to allow available power to be used for start up. Since the starter switch affects the light, make sure the switch fully extends back to proper resting position after you push it to start.

Sometimes w/ older bikes, that switch will start to stick. It will seem like you've got a problem w/ your headlight or starting. Just spray a shot of wd40 in there to loosen it up.

Too, if you use canyon-dancers to strap your bike to a trailer, sometimes the strap will pull against the starter switch. Obviously try to avoid this, but if it happens, it could cause the switch to stick after you undo the strap. Just flick the switch a few times to make sure its moving freely.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
The headlight is supposed to temporarily go off during the starting process to allow available power to be used for start up. Since the starter switch affects the light, make sure the switch fully extends back to proper resting position after you push it to start.

Sometimes w/ older bikes, that switch will start to stick. It will seem like you've got a problem w/ your headlight or starting. Just spray a shot of wd40 in there to loosen it up.

Too, if you use canyon-dancers to strap your bike to a trailer, sometimes the strap will pull against the starter switch. Obviously try to avoid this, but if it happens, it could cause the switch to stick after you undo the strap. Just flick the switch a few times to make sure its moving freely.

Hope this helps.

ya i know its supposed to go off temporarily but the problem is once it goes off it doesn't come back on.

i'll see if it sticks any once i get home from class, and i do use canyon-dancers if i am going to haul it but i've only done this about 4 times and all of them were before i took it apart for the winter. but who knows, i hope thats all it is....crosses fingers....

Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 PM

so i messed with the switch once i got home and as far as i can tell its not sticking and its not loose. i tried wiggling it once bike started and nothing new happened.

any more ideas???

Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Humm...well, if the switch isn't sticking, it could still be the switch going bad. Keep that in mind. Let's check connections. Check the bulb too for proper installation. Beyond this, who knows. Electrical gremlins are a real pain in the ****. I know from experience how irritating they can be.

I just recently dealt w/a very similar problem...the bike would start & run but the light wouldn't come on...or would come on/off similar to what you describe. The switch seemed ok w/ seemingly free movement. Then checked the bulb & connections, which seemed ok. Decided to check the switch again, lubed w/ wd40 & it began to work properly w/ the light. What seemed to be ok was actually a minor "sticking". Eventually that switch will have to be replaced but for now, its working fine.

Your situation really sounds like a switch problem but could just as easily be a connection problem. I hope you're able to track it down. Sorry, if I'm not more helpful. I gave it a shot.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 PM

sounds like what i was thinking. so just some wd40 then?? sounds easy enough. just wanted some backup before i go taking it all apart again. thought maybe someone else maybe had the same problem once and new a little more about it than me, and sure enough, someone did. thanks for the advice man.