CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Has anybody replaced the CCT??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anybody replaced the CCT??

I think you just kicked some people in the face. Good write - up!!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didn't mean to kick them in the face...in the groin maybe, but not in the face!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM

there is only one word for that post..............................................OWNED

Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude... It's not my intention to argue orflame either, (and I do appologize, I did sound like a dick), but if you've had to play with dozens of CCT's and Honda has revised the part 3 or 4 times, then how can you say it's a good part. I have taken them apart also, the main problem being spring tension. If Honda had to much spring tension, it would cause the problem you described with cam chain sliders wearing, etc, but if there isn't enough tension(which is the problem with the CCT) then the CCT lets the cam chain get sloppy. Honda cannot find a reliable balance with the spring tension, hence the reason for the revisions of the part, which they still have not gotten right. The way I see it, if there is a noise, rattle orwhatever, the you have metal on metal contact (which is usually the cam chain slapping against the engine casing) which leads to metal shavings in the oil and then premature engine wear. I agree with you that the rider should make sure the CCT is truly the issue before replacing. So I'll end with this, if you are not comfortable adjusting a cam chain manually, then don't!Spend the $75.00 each time and replace the auto tensioner.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 PM

ok...obviously you did NOT read the post.

you are attributing the noise to cam chain slop from lack of spring tension.

i've asserted time and before that it's NOT due to cam chain slop...no point educating those who do not want to learn.

but thanks for your time.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 AM

Tahoe, I understand your point of view and I did before, but I didn't think I'd have to rebute each point of your post.Obviously I do. Please, answer these questions for me.

How come you have had to play with "dozens" of cctl's in only 3 years if this is a perfectly fine part? How come Honda has to keep revising the part? What do you consider a "failed part", when the engine blows up, it failed? To me a failing part is any part out of the manufactures spec.

It isn't a safety issue, it's an engine performance and longevity issue. Honda is well aware of it. It's not Honda's responsibilitty to make sure you call them when there's something isirregular. If the cam chain were to fail, jump or whatever and cause serious injury or death because the owner doesn't maintain his/her motorcycle, well then they shouldn't own a motorcycle. We all know that when there's only two wheels touching the ground, maintenance is safety and irregular sounds and vibrations should be investigated and repaired.

Besides, "Engine Harmonics", exsessive clearencesor vibrations would only assist in the opperation of the cctl.The frequencegeneratedwould reduce the amount of friction on the threads of the cctl shaft, wouldn't it? Especially with the threads lubricated withengine oil and have a spring pushing on it.But, the oem cctl does not have enough spring pressure to opperate properly throughout the entire adjustment range. Period.

Whydo you "seem" to believe that any noise theengine didn't make before is ok now? I personally think that "Engine Harmonics", noises orvibrationsaren't a good thing and should be repaired. Excessive vibrations, even small, leads to performance loss, premature engine wear and eventually failure. In your theory the shaft and tip of the cctl are the cause of "all" the noise, but if the the tip was actually touching the back of the cam chain slider,thepressure should be enough to eliminate most of the vibration and noise. Also, wouldn't the nylon cam chain slider dampen somethose vibrations?

Do you know what preload is? Where on the cam chain are you checking your slack, are youchecking between the cam sprockets or something? I'm sure you have noticed when your bike isn't making the "noise in question", your throttle response iscrisper andthe bike just runs smoother in general? I know I sure notice it. That's because the cam chainhasadequatepreload. Poorcam chain tensioncan retard the valve timing by as much a2 degrees.

Ithas beenmy experience thatmy manual cctl works better than stock. The bike is crisper, smoother and quiter more consistantly. So what if I have to adjust it, only takes15-20 minutes and that's with taking the tank off and on.

I don't care what you asserted time and before. Doesn't make you right.

To Everyone reading this: I encourage you to talk to your local Honda dealer and ask them about the cctl. Please, post your results. Let's settle this already, this isn't the first thread to have this debate. Don't listen to me, don't listento Tahoe. Talk to the professional that you trust about this.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 AM

Awsome post Tahoe!!!!!!!!!! +1 Thanks for the information i was going to buy an APE CCT. Now iam going to get the stock one. they are the same price from RonAyers.com . So that noise i am hearing is just the tip of the CCT, not the chain slapping against the case. Im just kinda worried about Damage to my bike.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM

ajlong...you win!

why do you resort to condescending questions and tone.
please don't waste my time nor yours by your rebuttals to my posts. from reading your post, i understand that you haven't done anything to back your claim, nor do your reasoning make sense. you can stand by your claims all you want and i will stand by mine.

and going to the dealer for answers? muuhahahahhah...there's a huge consensus that the dealer doesn't know crap...so i wouldn't believe what they say further than i can throw my bike.

i actually have a friend who works for honda in torrance, ca...and aside from honda parts...i get my questions answered from their R&D. i know...not much compared to the dealer but that's ok...cause we can't win them all.

the only thing i will agree with you is for people not to listen to me nor you...for them to do their ownresearch, etc.

thanksvery much all, it's been fun...as this is the last time i will comment on anything cctl related.

t

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Tahoe, I resort to condescending questions and tone because you basically called me a monkey, that you kicked me in the groin and that I'm unwilling to learn.I turn into a dick when someone deliberately tries to trash me.Don't get me wrong, I've read lots of your posts and respect most of your opinions, you give out good advice most of the time. It's just a shame you couldn't or wouldn't even answer one of my questions to support your "theory". But, let's agree to disagree on this matter.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:20 AM

How do you know if the CCTL is going, (IS) BAD
I keep hearing about this noise you hear but I am not sure what it's supposed to sound like.

You gave a very helpful link/ and info so I hope you didn't mind me hitting you up for MORE INFO

Thanks! ahead of time

Quick Reply: Has anybody replaced the CCT??