CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Grinding noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009 | 03:27 PM
|
Default Grinding noise...

I have a 1999 F4 with 27k miles on it. I bought it sept 08 and its been making this grinding noise since I have had it. Its not causing me any problems at the moment but im a little worried. It does it when im in neutral or in gear. it does it at around 2800-4000rpms.
I dont think its normal but I have never heard another F4 so maybe im wrong.
Anyone know what this might be?
Thanks.

Old 05-17-2009 | 08:20 PM

search for "CCT" problems. Its usually more pronounced at about 5k rpms but either way do a search.

Old 05-17-2009 | 09:02 PM
|

thanks. will do.

Old 05-17-2009 | 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by DonEverett
search for "CCT" problems. Its usually more pronounced at about 5k rpms but either way do a search.

What? He said it was a grinding noise, not a ticking/clattering noise that a loose cam chain would make b/c of A; the cam chain is worn or B; the cam chain tensioner is bad.

And beside he would not hear a bad CCT/CC at rpm. The sound would actually go away past idle b/c centrifugal force would cause the loose parts of the cam chain outwards.

I've noticed allot of people enjoy looking like they know what they are talking about. I cannot count how many times I've heard in person as well as on forums in general people automatically throw cct/cc out there for whatever problem. "What your bikes not turning over?? Well, did you check your cam chain/tensioner?"

If you genuinely do not know please don't throw "fixes" for a problem you wouldn't be a able to diagnose correctly in person, let alone on the forums.

Originally Posted by Macks
I have a 1999 F4 with 27k miles on it. I bought it sept 08 and its been making this grinding noise since I have had it. Its not causing me any problems at the moment but im a little worried. It does it when im in neutral or in gear. it does it at around 2800-4000rpms.
I dont think its normal but I have never heard another F4 so maybe im wrong.
Anyone know what this might be?
Thanks.
Now as far as the grinding noise goes. No it is not normal for there to be a grinding noise on the f4's. And I honestly don't know what could be causing it. How bad is the grinding noise? Have you tried to pinpoint where on the engine its coming from? It makes the noise no matter what gear it is in? And when its in neutral does it make the noise at idle or do you have to rev her up to the rpm you specified?

Did you get a history on the bike from the guy you bought it from? Was it ever stunted? Was it ever taken to the track? Or just ridden hard in general? Did he take care of it? etc, etc...

I'll research it for you and get back at you tomorrow Mack. But no matter what I come up with your problem can't be diagnosed over the web. Someone who knows what they are doing and has experience should be looking at your bike. Even if you just go in for a diagnoses and then fix it yourself. At least you will know what the problem is and then you can decide from that point on, on how to deal with the problem.

Regardless a grinding noise is definitely not good at all. If you can I would recommend not riding it until you can find out exactly what it is. Don't wanna cause more damage than necessary. But if you were like me and its your only form of transportation then I would take it in and just have it diagnosed right away. Bad news doesn't get better with time, it gets worse.

Old 05-18-2009 | 04:18 PM
|

MotoDan, As far as I know the previous owner did not take it to the track or ride it too hard, I doubt he stunted it as he had it lowered because he was pretty short. The bike was in great shape when I got it. It runs good now and the grinding does not appear to be impairing the ability of the engine to do what it is supposed to do. Although I have not been on another F4 so im not sure how it would feel. The bike still feels very fast when I get on it. I have not tried to pinpoint the noise. It doesnt happen at idle but it happens in every gear and neutral at around 2800-4000rpms. It has not gotten worse since it has started.
Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009 | 07:30 PM

If I had to guess Macks (And thats what it is a *guess*) I would have to say the sound is coming from the transmission area. Its impossible to tell via the internet. Usually a grinding noise can be related and traced to gears.

I'm not sure about bearings b/c when those go bad they make more of a whirling sound at higher rpm's.

I'm just not sure... B/c you say grinding, to me that rules out allot of possibilities.
But what you hear as grinding could to me sound like a pinging, knocking, or clatter sound. Sorry man but I don't think you will find the answer to the sound here in the forums. I have yet to come across this myself. I wish I could help more but I can't.

But when you find out what the noise is let us know. : )

Hopefully someone else who reads this has come across the sound. Or knows what you're talking about so to shed some light on the whole ordeal.

Old 05-20-2009 | 11:37 PM

I never said it was the CCT MotoDan, I simply said to do a search on it and find out more about it. Trying to diagnose his problem with his description would be near impossble. F4's and F4I's are known for their reliability, and due to that I would check out the known issues first, before chasing down something else. This is why so many people throw the cct issue out there, because it IS an issue.

If it were a tranny issue, it would tend to make more noise the faster its spinning, not just at a certain rpm range. Does it do it with the clutch engaged and dissengaged?

I'm assuming you've changed the oil, and that didn't help? Also, what kind of oil do you run? Honda suggests 10w-40, but lists 20w-40 also. You could try running a thicker oil to see if it takes the noise away. Is it more pronounced with a cold or hot engine?

Old 05-21-2009 | 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DonEverett
I never said it was the CCT MotoDan, I simply said to do a search on it and find out more about it.

My apologies Don.

Seems I had selective reading. Man I would feel like a douche if it turns out to be the problem. But I would take it like a man and apologize again. haha

Old 05-21-2009 | 10:55 PM

haha no problems MotoDan!

Any update Macks?

Old 05-22-2009 | 03:44 AM
Default Cam chain rakling,tikking and simular noise

Hi i have a tikking noise in my engine from 2500 to 3100 rpm mostly and i think
it comes from the cam chain. Are defekt tensioners a comon problem?
I resently bought the bike, A 2000 mod 600f, the last model with carbourettors?

Quick Reply: Grinding noise...