CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

good god

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:15 PM
Default good god

Ok, so buying my 2000 F4 has been just about the worst experience of my driving life the only experience that was worse was buying my 2003 WRX (that i regreted buying as soon as i signed the papers at the dealer). It seems that EVERY time i fix one thing all it does is uncover another problem. So far I have changed tires, chain, sprockets, adjusted the suspension, got new wheel bearings, changed batteries and put on flush mount signals.

I changed the wheel bearing due to a knock as i was rolling but that didn't take it away so that led to the chain and sprockets (that is on my bike waiting for the chain press to get here so i can decide if i want to keep it or sell it). When i bought the bike the previous owner was a woman so the suspension was set soft so i went to change it and the tool kit with the shock spanner was gone so that led me to taking it to the shop to get that adjusted to the tune of $100, as i was in the process of not riding it due to something (who knows what anymore) i decided to get flushmounts; the parts guys at the local shop said "oh yeah those will work no problem, but they're just turn signals not marker lights" so as i get home and promptly take off my stock turn signal and cut the wires i go to mount my wonderful new flushmounts that oh just so happen to ONLY be running lights and do not fit at all so i return those and ride for a few days with no front right turn signal. By this point the tires are getting pretty much un rideable so I go ahead and order a rear stand, some tires, flush mounts and a chain and sprocket set from kneedraggers. Well the next day (well after the final shipment has been sent) i get an e-mail from kneedraggers letting me know the signals i ordered were out of stock and do i want to wait for them to come in or would red be ok? so i said yeah red will be fine cause i mean i kinda need turn signals for legal purposes. So i get an email the next day (again after the last shippment) thanking me and letting me know my order will go out monday after i ordered my stuff on wednesday, confirmed the issue on thursday and got the thank you reply on friday. So FINALLY my stuff gets here and i pull it out of the box and the stand they said would fit is for spools only and as we all know our wonderful f4's dont have taps for spools so that didn't work out so well and my signals were no where to be found. So i called them up and asked what was going on with the stand and what happend to my turn signals, pretty much all they said was "well you can either fabricate a swingarm attachment or ship it back to us and buy a different one (wich means 2 more shipping payments) and to top it all off as i was installing my new chain sprockets and tire i realize i ordered the press fit style chain as opposed to the locking link style master link and my local shop can't get the tool until monday so yet another beautiful weekend of no riding.

well i suppose i will be done for now sorry i ranted so much, all i know is this will probably be the last honda anything i ever purchase.

G

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:30 PM
Default RE: good god

Well I'm sorry you've had so many issues, but, you can't knock honda for the issues. You should have examined the bike closer before purchasing. I have 50,000 miles on my 99 and its still running strong with no mechanical issues. And your complaining about replacing mostly consumables on a vehicle that's just nuts. I do understand and can feel your frustration though, I know how it is. As for the turn signals....they would have worked as either turn signals or running lights not both cause they likely had only one filament but too late I guess. Anyhow I'm sorry your having so many issues but I promise honda makes an excellent ride and if you get the issues sorted you'll enjoy it.

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:38 PM

well I hate to rain on your parade more than you already did, butI think if you step back and look at things from an outsiders perspective, not much of what you described is the bike's fault! You can't honestly blame shipping problems, and order screw ups on the bike. It didn't order the parts, or mess up the order you placed. As for the running lights/turn signals, as long as the right wires are hooked up (solid colored not multi-colored) you will have turn signals not runnning lights. Can't have both with two wire lights though.

Now I don't want to make you madder than you already are, but buying a used anything is always a gamble. Its up to the buyer to check it out thouroughly (sp?) and know what's going to need to be done, and negotiate that into the price so you don't end up getting f***ed when you buy it. If its guna take $500 for repairs, take that outa the price and your still payin the same in the end.

All's I'm tryin to say is that if you really think about it, you can't blame honda for everything that happend. If anything, I'd be boiling mad with kneedraggers for messin your order up, not the bike!!!

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:48 PM

Hmmm... sorry to hear about your experiences. I'll just have to say that it's all bad luck. I own a WRX ('05) and I love it. I put about $4,000 in just performance into it. VF34 turbo and many supporting mods. I have never had a problem with it... *knocks on wood*. This is also my first Honda purchase ('99 F4), I just got it about a week ago and so far I was able to fix the problem with it. I have purchased it for stunting purposes, so I don't really care... but still.

But, just take it easy... it's only May. Take your time. My bike is rideable, but it's sitting in my garage waiting for stunt parts to arrive patiently. I'm in no rush.

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:53 PM

i think it's really just the nice weather and the fact that my bike is sitting with a new chain sprockets and rear tire on my stand in my workshop waiting for the chain press to get here after waiting for my parts to get here after waiting on my tires to get here lol

as far as the car goes, i just bought the engine i really didn't like the body of the 03 that i bought (the style of it not it's condition)

G

Old 05-22-2008 | 09:02 AM

Like was said-most of the problems is not the bike at all. I have a 2000 F4 with 31K on the clock and it runs great! I have put some money in it to keep it up to par, but over all it's been a great bike and I am not always easy on it.

hang in there-some project just have there hang ups and take longer to get done.

Old 05-22-2008 | 02:34 PM
Banned

Yeah no biggie - those turn signals would have worked if you had used the other power wire, .

Unless they shipped you the wrong stand, you probably ordered the wrong one or at least didin' pay attention.

it's all typical stuff. This is your first bike and there is so much stuff out there that sometimes it's not a bad idea to ask here or somewhere if you're getting ready to placea big order and get some opinions (something we're in abundant supply of, lol).

Are you sure your chain is rivet-type? I'd hate to see you wait another 3 days to put it on only to find out it's a clip-type link and update this thread with more annoying things that have happened

Good luck buddy - you'll get 'er sorted out. FWIW, clip-type master links are just fine for the street, and they're much easier to service on your own. Just a thought...

Old 05-22-2008 | 08:30 PM

got everything installed and adjusted and runs like a whole new bike, chain and sprockets eliminated all the knocking (i was hoping it would but didn't know if i blew any engine bearings with the old chain) got my new hotbodies flush mounts installed, new rear tire and bike is running great.

G