CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Free bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free bike!!!

to me...lol. So a friend of mine is moving up to Alaska and he wrecked his bike when he got a sticky throttle. He was going to be fixing it, but decided that work was more important. All in all, I received a 2000 CBR F4, a Scorpion exo 1000 Helmet, and a jacket (don't know brand off hand)...all for free! Helmet is in great condition, jacket is in decent condition. Jacket has some scuff marks below the left elbow, elbow bad is still intact. The bike on the other hand...cosmetically it is in horrible condition. I have to replace every fairing, need to replace fork seals, and buy a new handle bar. So from my opinion (and a friends who's been riding for 6+ years), it doesn't seem the take THAT much to get it street ready again. I've seen it being quoted at a total of $1400 by a local dealership. I plan on doing most of the cosmetic work myself. Engine appears to be in great running condition, aside from being able to start it up currently. The orig owner, before me, was able to start it about a week before I picked it up, but didn't pull the battery out before it started raining. So I'm wondering if I'm not able to start it due to a blow fuse or what. Now that I've told you a little about the back story...I guess I can ask my questions now.

1) Where would be a good place to look into purchasing new/used fairings?
- I have an extra set of race fairings, but I don't feel like cutting a hole out for the headlight.

2) Where would be a decent place to purchase a new right handle bar?

3) Where would I start looking to get the electrical problem working correctly?

I do have pictures and plan on posting them up here in the next few hours or so. Thanks to everybody who provides input!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Also, since I know how stickers can give me 20+ more hp...where can I get some CBRForum stickers? Wait...this isn't a FWD Civic with a Shopping cart handle...oh well. Stickers?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N1ghtmare
to me...lol. So a friend of mine is moving up to Alaska and he wrecked his bike when he got a sticky throttle. He was going to be fixing it, but decided that work was more important. All in all, I received a 2000 CBR F4, a Scorpion exo 1000 Helmet, and a jacket (don't know brand off hand)...all for free! Helmet is in great condition, jacket is in decent condition. Jacket has some scuff marks below the left elbow, elbow bad is still intact. The bike on the other hand...cosmetically it is in horrible condition. I have to replace every fairing, need to replace fork seals, and buy a new handle bar. So from my opinion (and a friends who's been riding for 6+ years), it doesn't seem the take THAT much to get it street ready again. I've seen it being quoted at a total of $1400 by a local dealership. I plan on doing most of the cosmetic work myself. Engine appears to be in great running condition, aside from being able to start it up currently. The orig owner, before me, was able to start it about a week before I picked it up, but didn't pull the battery out before it started raining. So I'm wondering if I'm not able to start it due to a blow fuse or what. Now that I've told you a little about the back story...I guess I can ask my questions now.

1) Where would be a good place to look into purchasing new/used fairings?
- I have an extra set of race fairings, but I don't feel like cutting a hole out for the headlight.

2) Where would be a decent place to purchase a new right handle bar?

3) Where would I start looking to get the electrical problem working correctly?

I do have pictures and plan on posting them up here in the next few hours or so. Thanks to everybody who provides input!
( EBAY ) unless you can find someone on here to buy it all at a deal

Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM

cheapcycleparts.com

Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Alright, so I went to a couple shops, ok a lot of shops, today and the cheapest I was able to find, to get it in drivable conditions, was $710...does that sound like a decent price? The only downfall to that is it doesn't include fairings. But to be honest, I've always liked the street fighter look. I just need to find the right street fighter setup and go from there. Does anybody have any pictures of a street fightered F4?

I looked at the store that was posted, and it seems a bit pricey for fairings, I do need a rear fairing. I have a SharkSkin race fairing that I like, due to it covering up the passenger seat, but I need to find an undertail for fairly cheap. Anybody have one of those?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:00 AM

N1ghtmare; ebay has fairings for the F4 painted and shipped to your door for slightly under $500. I found a set for $480 brand new, painted and shipped. Try that out. type in "cbr F4" in ebay. You will get all F4 and F4i fairings but it gives a wide selection, just make sure they will fit your years. most are marked with 99-00 fitment.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the free bike & gear.

1) As recommended, *bay has many links to aftermarket replacement fairings. Read reviews on the forum about options. Prices will range from $500-800 depending on who you choose & what material they are made of (ie. fiberglass vs ABS).

I've seen most of the aftrmkt replacements in person. The best of the bunch that I've seen are from Nice Cycle http://www.nicecycle.com/1999-to-2000-Fairings-s/86.htm . They are pricey but unless you knew better, you wouldn't know they aren't factory. A friend had a low-speed lowside last yr & wanted to replace the fairings. He got a set of these (actually lower than listed price b/c he called & asked for specials). They installed easily w/ very little manipulation.

If I were you, already having a set of race fairings on hand, I'd make those work to keep my expense down.

2) Get from your factory Honda dealer, bikebandit.com or ronayers.com.

3) Electrical probs can be a real pain to diagnose & repair. Unless you are inclined & patient, I'd recommend you take it to the factory Honda svc ctr to sort it out & repair.

--

Good luck w/ all your repairs/etc. Look forward to updates.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM

Good call "gotcbr". I read some of the stuff about ebay and everything compared to nicecycles. Anyone would clearly be better off going with Nicecycle's plastics. THey also have a pretty large assortment of paintjobs for the F4. Very Nicecycles