CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

FMF Exhaust...its fun adding mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my next question would be if my bike is running good (or better) with the aftermarket exhaust on it do I need to worry about playing with the carbs at all?

The bike also has a K&N filter so there is probably a bit more air flow than stock now...what symptoms would a bike have that is potentially running dangerously lean? Again the bike seems fine on the highway and in traffic.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM

It will be running a little leaner with the new slip-on and air filter. As long as the bike isn't popping on deceleration or running much different I wouldn't worry about it. Just watch to make sure it isn't running lean by pulling a plug and checking.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 PM

my bike didnt spit or pop with the whole slip on off, running just the header, that doesn't mean wasn't running lean, get a jet kit, take it in to get it dyno'd try stock then with jets, and try a few different settings, run the one that makes the best power! Should be about $60 for 3 dyno runs

there should be power to gain by installing the jet kit

just like putting a pipe on a FI bike, it will run fine, but it makes the best power when tuned, or in FI lingo programed

Last edited by rideoncbr; 05-11-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM

rideoncbr Id rather not get a jet kit and do a dyno just now (unless necessary)...kinda blew my bike $ budget for the next few months (too many hobbies...and a wife, dont ask). Over the winter or next spring I will likly go that route tho.
-BTW what did it sound like w/ just the header?, I should have tried it just for fun.

2000f4 There is definitly no popping on deaccel, what would the plugs look like if lean...burnt/ corroded? cool, thanks guys.

Last edited by platnumbob; 05-11-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by platnumbob
rideoncbr Id rather not get a jet kit and do a dyno just now (unless necessary)...kinda blew my bike $ budget for the next few months (too many hobbies...and a wife, dont ask). Over the winter or next spring I will likly go that route tho.
-BTW what did it sound like w/ just the header?, I should have tried it just for fun.

2000f4 There is definitly no popping on deaccel, what would the plugs look like if lean...burnt/ corroded? cool, thanks guys.
If it is running perfect the plugs should be a light brown. The "whiter" the plugs the learner it is, and the darker the plugs means its rich. This chart shows just about everything you need to know about reading spark plugs:
http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm

Old 05-11-2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by platnumbob

Ill put it this way, I love loud bikes, and it was out of control, makes a loud harley sound like a little girls bike, reved it to 6g's in my shop, and it hurt my ears, so I plugged them and reved it out once, if you rode thru town like that every car alarm would go off, and you would more than likely be getting a ticket, with the lack of backpressure, your bike wouldnt be running good for long.

I would definatly invest in a jet kit, even if you cant dyno tune it

got mine for $80 new

but I have seen a few at auction on ebay go for alot less, saw one go for $40 with a k&n filter, you just have to look at the right time, or all the time

Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Sweet chart, I will run the bike a couple of weeks and then see how the plugs look - if lean I guess I will look for a jet kit.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 PM

Hate to tell you this, but you should just order the jet kit, I have been riding around the last couple days, with new k&n filter and new exhaust, It may appear to be running fine, but if you really really listen it does not run perfect. I ran the bike without a exhaust at all and it didn't spit or backfire, but you wouldn't want to ride around like that

Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 PM

I have taken off my exhaust it sounded like a monster!! my neighbors hated me for like 2 days lol and it felt lighter and it rev up faster two!! but i put my crap stock exhaust back on.. i want to buy a new exhaust myself i hate that they cost 400 for a slip on gezz coming from a import guy that's why to much for a stainless steal ... and den you have to jet the bike ahhh

Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

This is directly from the Two Brothers Racing website.

We do not recommend rejetting or changing the stock air filter on the CBR600F4 with any of our systems. Our testing indicates the best performance is with the stock jetting and stock air filter when using any of our exhaust systems (full or slip-on) on the CBR600F4.

They say that's for there systems but I'm guessing most pipes will have similar performance and go by those same guidelines. I've known lots of people to run TwoBros and I've never seen a bad product in fact there some of the best sounding pipes I've ever heard and they did a lot of racing on Hondas in the 90's and early 2000's so they know there Hondas.

Quick Reply: FMF Exhaust...its fun adding mods