CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

fiberglass fairings...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass fairings...

i wrecked my bike last month and am looking to fix everything... and i came across this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...25646322QQrdZ1

is this gonna be the same quality as the OEM ones?... which are i think abs plastic...or will they break easy?...

ebay also has painted afermarket fairings... like with the repsol theme and what nots.... what do you think about those also?...

if those 2 dont cut it... im thinking of repairing my existing fairings... with bondo... and sanding them down... repainting... and new vinel.....

Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Default RE: fiberglass fairings...

I've heard some bad things about Pit-Eck quality. And you're correct the stock fairings are abs plastic. There are several people in the F4i forum that have gotten the pre-painted hong-kong fairings off ebay and said they were good quality and good fitment. If the fairings aren't too badly damaged (just cracked or broken, not missing large chunks) use some epoxy to weld them together, then just sand down the epoxy to make it smooth, they'll be nearly as strong as new.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 PM

well are the complaints just pit-teck in general?... or all fiberglass ones?...

and what are the complaints?...

--

i was reading a sport rider artical on repairing fairings... and they mentioned if you are going to the track... to buy a set of fiberglass fairings since they are alot cheaper and easier to repair.... does this also mean they are more prone to damage or something?.. this is an everyday bike..so it will be ridden a good amount.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 PM

I've heard that pit-eck are just generally very low quality, they're thin, cheap fealing, holes don't line up, sometimes you recieve them already cracked, they break when trying to get them to fit, things like that. The upside is that the article is right, fiberglass is very, very easy to repair. I wouldn't say fiberglass is more prone to damage, but it is very rigid, so something that would have only flexed the stock plastics, would crack fiberglass ones.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:20 PM

I purchased a set of these from Pit Eck, and they are not the best compared to Cheetah or Shark Skins fairings. I have a '99 CBR 600 F4 that I just wanted to change the color from the yellow to a blue color, and I wanted to keep all theoriginal fairings in case I wanted to change it back to yellow. If you get these fairing they do look nice once they are painted, I'd suggest that before you put them on, hold them together so that the holes line up, some of mine didn't, so I had very lightly file some of the edges of the fairings to get the holes lined up. My stepson also bought some for his '99 CBR that he totalled. He painted them himself and they look absolutely wonderful, I'm having mine professionally painted. For the price you can't beat them. You just have to do a little more work with these to fill the low spots with bondo and then sand them. I should be getting my painted fairings and tank back in a couple of weeks.