CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

few questions about my 99 f4

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions about my 99 f4

got myself a 99 cbr600f4, love this bike and love to ride it but the PO painted some stuff that needs to be redone so first is a painting question, i know its been coverd but im still confused on sand papper...

what grit should i use? i was thinking a 800 grit then prime, then 1000 grit then color then clear.

after inspecting the bike even more i noticed the head pipes are really rusty, would you guys sand/paint it with high temp paint or take this chance to toss aftermarket on?

the throttle sucks, we have a local drag strip i like to mess around on and it takes so long to get to WOT but ive read somewhere the f4's already have a 1/4 turn throttle, so would i go to a 1/8 turn throttle?

i have stock sprockets and see alot of this -1 +2 teeth stuff but dunno if its for me, i drive this bike on the street almost every day and i drive normal, would this mod kill my street use? like will it kill my mileage that much and will i really have that hard of a time keeping the front end down?

other then those issues this bike has plenty of power and the front end will pick up with no issues. im about 150 to 160 pounds and 6'2" so this bike moves me real easy. tell me what you guys think

oh btw heres a pic of whats been painted......

the paint is chipping a little on the corners and front fender has a few scratches.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 AM

I’m not to sure about the sand paper and header pipe but I can tell you this I have the same exact bike and with the gearing I have converted to the 520 conversion with a aluminum sprocket in the back , -1 in the front and +2 in the back . I have not noticed any difference in the millage but have in the power. I have played around on the track doing test n tunes in the quarter mile and it made a difference. I don’t know how aggressive of a rider you are but converting and the bike will have no problem coming up in second and even bouncing in up in third. Hope this is helpful

Old 03-19-2009, 07:09 PM

How many miles are on the bike? Do you plan on keeping it for awhile? Or if money isn't an object i would recommend a full exhaust for the bike. I am a fan of the full micron or two brother exhaust myself. What color you looking to do if you paint the bike?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM

theres 13k on the bike. i plan on keeping it forever unless ofcourse a good deal comes up on a newer one then i would sell this one maybe. money isnt a real big issue but i dont wanna toss a grand into a full exhaust. im thinking of keeping it flat black or maybe even a glossy black, im not sure yet. theres one spot on the inner fairing thats cracked so i have to repair that in the process (PO said he dropped the bike in his driveway, no other damage).

anyway i just came from a local honda shop and he said he has no clue what throttle i have but they have a quick twist or something kit in the book listed for about $170, over on another board i chat at someone managed to make a 1/4 turn throttle with some PVC pipe glued to the stock throttle handle, anyone done this on the CBR's?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by NetBSD
theres 13k on the bike. i plan on keeping it forever unless ofcourse a good deal comes up on a newer one then i would sell this one maybe. money isnt a real big issue but i dont wanna toss a grand into a full exhaust. im thinking of keeping it flat black or maybe even a glossy black, im not sure yet. theres one spot on the inner fairing thats cracked so i have to repair that in the process (PO said he dropped the bike in his driveway, no other damage).

anyway i just came from a local honda shop and he said he has no clue what throttle i have but they have a quick twist or something kit in the book listed for about $170, over on another board i chat at someone managed to make a 1/4 turn throttle with some PVC pipe glued to the stock throttle handle, anyone done this on the CBR's?
the F4 does *not* have a 1/4th throttle. you can speed up the throttle by building up the diameter of the groove where the throttle cables ride on the throttle. be careful, if you don't builup evenly, the throttle opening wiil not be smooth no matter how smooth the rider is. may not matter for draggin.... ve

Last edited by VitaminE; 03-21-2009 at 02:34 PM.