CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

F4 / F4i headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4 / F4i headlight problems

Its a 1999 F4 with a F4i headlight assembly.

the Lights stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Neither light will come on and the light on the gauges does not come on. Could this be from a burnt out bulb or would the better culprit be a bad light switch ?

Went through yesterday and rewired the lights to see if i had a bad connection and i didnt find any. Checked the fuses under the seat and their all good. Took off the rear fairing to see if their were any more fuses but theirs only the computer and 4 relays.

Have no idea why both lights would just stop working overnight.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:13 PM

sorry i can't help ya.. just wondering. do you have problems running both headlights normally? are they both bright enough normally?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:26 PM

ya they run bright enough and everything, the guy before me installed them. He wired them up to run off high beam only though. Planned on fixing that, but then this happened.

O, and they were wired up to run in bright ( both lghts on ) all the time and havent had a problem before this with them.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM

just wondering, the low beam is supposed to be the left side, right? good luck man.. it's gotta be some kind of fuse, or switch. Did you try testing the wires with a voltometer?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Do you have a voltmeter? You need to check the fuses with a meter. Most of the time you can tell if a fuse is good or bad by looking at it but not always. I have seen fuses that look good but are not. Which light on the dash are you talking about, the high beam indicator? If that is not coming on also I would say bad switch because that will only come on if the high bulb is getting 12v. They are controlled by the high low switch and by a contact on the starter switch to shut the headlights off when starting the bike. There is a 3 pin connector with a Blue/White, Black and Yellow/Red wires coming into it. Disconnect it and on that side check for 12v on the Blue/White wire with the ignition on. If there isn't then either the switch or the wiring to the fuse block is bad. Enjoy.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM

ok if its the switch what would i need to order ?? The whole dimmer assembly ?

The high beam indicator is correct, its not lighting up when i switch it on high beam. ?Thats why i was thinking fuse or switch. Going to get a Voltmeter thurs and ill check for continuity and get back to you all.

Hoping its just a fuse cause the dimmer assembly is around $100 new

Old 03-11-2009, 04:46 PM

bought a new switch and put it in and still having the same problem, headlights will not come on and the high beam indicator does not light.

Going to get a volt meter and do some testing to see if im even getting fire to them in a couple days.....Any other thoughts

Planning on putting the original cyclops headlight back on it, ordered a new headlight wiring harness then ill diagnose from their.

Last edited by bigboi18184; 03-11-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didnt have high low beam functionality? Or did the PO wire it for for dual light high and low? If the later then there should be a relay wired in between the headlights that could be burnt up.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 AM

No it only worked on high beam he didnt wire up a relay to it.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 PM

The wiring to the f4i headlight looks like trash and since im going back the old one i went ahead and ordered a new wiring harness and bulb. Ordered a bulb for the gauges in case its blown and the wiring is just shot to hell. I'll have my meter by saturday and will be able to see if im getting fire to the bulb,wires or switch

Quick Reply: F4 / F4i headlight problems