CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

The F4 Conversions Debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The F4 Conversions Debate

As I've seen a rash of threads about F4 conversions, I thought I'd just throw one more idea in there. Now first, this isn't ripping anyone or taking away anything from the guys who are doing all these conversions because I've done them to my F4 and I think it's cool to do that kind of project. It takes a lot of time and ching to do mod's and it's definately something to sit back and crack a beer at and enjoy the job well done.

But did anyone ever think that maybe they should have just bought the bike that has all the cooler looking and better features on it instead of dumping a bunch of money into the F4 that you will never see in resale?

I did the tail swap on mine. All together I spent about $450 in parts. I'm not including the price of the tail because mine had a crack in it so it would have gotten replaced anyway. I guess $450 is not that bad, but where does a guy draw the line. Recently I've wanted to do the RR swingarm conversion but I just started thinking, shouldn't I just go buy an RR? It already has the IMO better looking front end, digital gauges, sleek tail, pro-link swingarm, etc. I've enjoyed working on my F4 but the next bike I think will hopefully have the majority of things the way I want them.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM

I am one of the "rash" of people that just did alot of the f4<f4i conversions. I, in my particular case, am bound to my bike now. I posted a write up in the photo section of my bike when I got it, what happened to it, and how it looks now. Like I said, I have about 4500 in my bike altogether. It had 15k on it when I bought it. It now has a tad over 20k. I dont know if I will ever sell the bike with the given history now, or if something bad happens again it might just be a sign. It just depends on how comfortable you are with your particular bike, your history with it and the situation with your wallet. Yes, the mods can be expensive and more than likely you will never get the return if you do sell it after modding it. Now the other question is, would you rather have a bike that anyone can go out and buy or one that you actually put together how *you* want it yourself? I would take the latter. Thats the beauty of aftermarket, not only for cars but bikes. Just my opinion....

Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Personally I actually like the F4 more than the F4i and moving forward to all the newer bikes in that the F4 is in my view the best bike Honda ever made. Here is why? The bike was designed to not have any emissions power robbing crap, the carburettors are state of the art and have a cooling cycle through the throttle body. It is the most balanced, perfectly smooth piece of machinery and has tons of aftermarket interchange bits to keep the bike for a hell of a long time. It does not have an O2 sensor, catalytic convertor, egr valves and air induction valves that feed exhaust back into your engine. It is equivalent to the best muscle car without the BS. This is one of those bikes that in 10 more years from now you will realize was the best, all around sports bike out there, that makes you come back and wonder why the heck did I not appreciate this when I already had one. The sheer mechanics of the bike is totally flawless and extremely reliable. So there ya go.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 PM

see in my case I bought a striped bike for $900 bucks and it was literally $400 more to do all the conversions than it was to make it stock, so now instead of having a F4 that's worth $2000 with $1500 in to it; I have one that's worth $3000 with just about $2100 in it. Had I bought a full priced bike then I would completely agree with you on the validity of not doing these swaps....however motorcyclists have always modded their bikes so perhaps it's just in our blood...I mean look at the Harley Guys they'll pay 15k for a bike and 8k more for some chrome and the bike isn't even worth the 15k they paid for it because its used...now that's wasteful

Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 PM

the f4 and other last of there kind carbed bikes (yzf600r, gsx-r600)will always be prized. the were the best of the best at the time. the 09 600rr on has 98 at the rear wheel stock. where the power comes in at on the needle and how quick the motor revs is totally different but. very few ppl will know the diffence. our bike has about 90 stock. we got the "stroker" motors. but the biggest then is that our mods make our bike custom one no one has. the gsx-r600 is the camery of bikes. and the busa is the suv. everybody has a stock one. few have a truely custom one. which make it all worth while. other than looks the only difference bettwen the newest bike and our are the speed at which it performs tasks. and unless your on the track you can never reach full potenaly of our bike. let alone the newest bikes. but a custom bike is why we do the mods. other wise you can always just go buy a new bike like everybody else.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by limpy88
a custom bike is why we do the mods. other wise you can always just go buy a new bike like everybody else.
I agree mods are great and set you apart from the other clones. It's my opinion that changing the chassis and body so drastically might have been resources better spent somewhere else. There are many mods to be done, not to mention the conversions. I would rather spend my time on those to set my bike out from the rest rather than replace major components just to look (and,or) ride like another bike. The F4 with an F4i front end and tail is just a carburated F4i now. If different is the goal than perhaps the stock F4 would be the ticket, no? Don't see to many banana seats these days!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My F4 isnt going anywhere. One day they're will be a RR next to it, but I dont regret a thing I have done to her. Well maybe that lowside :lol:

Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM

True that, I'd have a hard time letting this one go too, it's been such a solid bike! Probably only to a friend that would take good care of her and would let me steal it every now and again! Maybe a track bike too, but don't know if I'd have the heart to do that to it either!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM

if you spent all the money and effort to look like another bike than yeah it would have been more reasonalby to purchase the ideal bike in the begining

Old 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

As for resale value, I could really care less what someone else perceives doing the F4i split seat conversion to my 2000 F4 may or may not have done to that value...or any mod for that matter. I bought the bike for me, not for the next guy. As such, I'll do to it what I want. If anything, I've improved the bike...at least for my purposes.

I just recently did the F4i split seat subframe conversion. I did it for me, not anyone else. I certainly didn't do it to impress anyone. I've ridden my F4 for thousands upon thousands of miles when it still had the banana seat. Although good for daily commuting & longer trips, the banana seat just didn't work for me on the track & twisties. W/ the split seat, I'm able to lean off much more easily in the turns & get better control w/ the bike in the split seat configuration. I just prefer its current setup better now for my purposes.

To clarify, I liked the bike then & I like the bike now...its just been modified to my liking & use. Additionally, its not so easy to just run out & buy a new bike...rather for me, it was *use-what-you've-got* & be happy.

I've had a huge response to the "tutorial" I wrote up in my photo gallery, converting the banana seat setup to the split-seat set up. Apparently, I'm not alone in the *use-what-you-got* or mod what you want mindset.

As for "drawing the line"...well, you draw the line where *you* want...not where you think someone else thinks it should be drawn. That's the beauty of it being your bike & doing whatever you want to it.

Quick Reply: The F4 Conversions Debate