CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

engine power issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i just put in fresh plugs, fired up for the first 10 secs then started having the issue of bogging down and struggling to stay idle, gas was leaking from a tube that was next to the coolant reservoir

Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM

found something really odd, when i leave the tank off and let it run without being connected to the gas tank it runs fine, but when i connect the gas tank, gas floods through the air vents.
here is a link of a diagram, gas leaks from 14 and 18
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4 partsfiche

Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM

i'm thinking a float valve in the carbs is stuck open? i'm so lost, i turned off the gas valve and disconnected the fuel pump and took it around the neighborhood and it ran perfectly, didn't skip a beat.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Coleman
i drained the old gas out, put seafoam in with some fresh gas, then flushed that out too for good measure
Seafoam doesn't do a bit of good if you simply flush it out of the tank without running it through the engine.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Coleman
i'm thinking a float valve in the carbs is stuck open? i'm so lost, i turned off the gas valve and disconnected the fuel pump and took it around the neighborhood and it ran perfectly, didn't skip a beat.
You are correct. That's where I'd look. If it's stuck open, it will flood the motor and contaminate the oil along with the air box.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, and I thought I should mention it even though I'm sure you know to check.

Make sure your floats aren't punctured.

As well, go slow and look around and see if the carbs seem to have been messed with before. It might mean the float level was changed, which could be causing all of the problems instead of the actual float and needle valve.

I was trying to figure out a similar issue on an old Kan-o-tuna recently, and every screw was stripped on the bowls - even the pilot jet was stripped out on the inside! Obviously the guy who messed with it before me had no clue what he was doing - and sure enough, the float levels were severely different among all of the carbs and were too low and too high causing issues.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:59 PM

ok update: so i was messing with the fuel pump, and it seems that it isnt working at all now, so i have the fuel line gravity fed to the carbs. the result is.... mixed. it seemed to be idling weird (rpms would go to 1k-3k in short bursts) im taking apart the carbs again and checking the floats as we speak, but im about halfway through and nothing seems out of the ordinary. went to go ride it with the fuel gravity fed and it ran fine for a little, then started to die on me again. I may have gotten a little frustrated and put the damn thing on craigslist and said screw it, but i just cant let go of it just yet.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 PM

fyi: i took apart the fuel pump and everything in it was corroded so im going to assume it was going bad to begin with. also just gave the float needles a look over and 3/4 are warped and dont seat properly, gonna order new ones off ebay. should i but anything else with the float needles just in case?

Last edited by Daniel Coleman; 05-02-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM

alright its been a little since i last posted haha, got new float needles put in while the bike was gravity fed and she ran great! but that is with gravity fed fuel. went to put the new fuel pump in, fired it up and the fuel pump wasnt priming. I went to check the relay and a wire was pulled out of the connector to the relay. I went to put the wire back in and now the fuel pump primes, but doesnt keep supplying fuel. Did a pressure test and it would only pump fuel when it was directly connected to the battery......im totally lost again

Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Do you have the pump connected to the right connector? A mistake I made a long time ago lol

Quick Reply: engine power issues