CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Different low voltage issue!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you just adding a hot wire to the relay? my bike rarely gives me a problem but sometimes i get the stumble when the fan is on in traffic only when im pullin off. i think its gotten alittle worse latley might just be cause its 100 and the fans runnin more. ive allready got an accessory relay installed for my horns so i could just run another wire to the relay if it gets down to it. it would be a trial thing for me to do since my bike doesnt act up to much

Last edited by polish man; 08-01-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Yes, I just added a hot wire to the relay. My voltage was running at 11.2 normally and dropped to 7.x sometimes on that circuit. With the hot wire bike hasn't stuttered at all. I'm going to build a relay circuit for it in the next week or so. My kill switch runs low voltage (11v) all the time even when the bike isn't running.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM

i was checkin mine out over the weekend on the relay it never dropped below 11.4 with fan and fuel pump runnin but i ran a wire over from my extra horn relay ive put on just to try it out cause it stays well over 12 volts at all times but the white and black wires hold .6 volts when my bikes off so it wouldnt let my extra relay close. my bike rarley gives me a problem but i had time so i checked everything out charging systems great i did tap a ground wire into my horns from my battery while i was workin on it and it seems to run alot smoother even when the fan comes on i dont know what all that grounds tied into but theres a noticable differance even when i creep off from a stop with the fan on. so im thinkin my issue may be ground related.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came across this forum because i am trying to find the grounds. I am not having the same problems you guys are having but i am in a situation where i need to follow the ignition wires to the ignition control and check my grounds but i do not know where they are. Could someone help me with that? thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 PM

I can help

Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM

just my experiance, ive had the same exact problem (and i do mean exactly everything you have stated) you are describing happen several times through out this past year. i have found and fixed the problem. i learned about it from people on here at cbr forum, also research on the web.

to answer and give an explaination, old wiring and electrical systems on my 99 f4 have corroded, weak connections and old worn out electrical components. they do not like heat and cant handle stress from that heat on the system very well at all. period.

some things to keep in mind are, in the wiring diagram in the shop manual you will see that fuel pump, fuel pump relay,fuel pump transfer relay, spark plugs(ignition), (generally speaking in simple terms) are all connected in one way or another. when you add heat to old corroded wires, connections and components it makes them weak and insufficiant. so, in simple terms, one bad component orold corroded connection can effect the whole system. thats what ive learned on my bike.

not saying you have to do this but, this is what i did to fix my problem, replaced every single relay and fuel pump. replaced stator, r/r, battery, starter/ kill switch. cut off all old grounds (every single one), replaced with new connectors, cleaned connection surfaces then reconnected. checked entire electrical (all components and switches too) system for burnt, corroded, cut or freyed wires. repaired all that needed it. cleaned connection points with contact cleaner.

using all new wires i straight wired, soldered and shrink tubed fuel pump, and r/r wires.(r/r is straight wired to battery, needs a 30 amp inline fuse on posi side) also, i straight wired, soldered and put shrink tube on the stator wires so there is no resistance in that part of the system.

to go the extra mile i installed a cpu cooling fan (posi side to running lights and neg to frame) strapped to my r/r to keep it cool. also i installed a koso digital volt meter to be able to monitor the charging system at all times.

im sure i have missed a couple things here that i have done but, after i did this i have had no problems and my elect/ charging system is very healthy and does not stumble and hesitate any more when its hot. maybe other people could have the same out come assuming all wiring and electrical parts and components are in good working order.

PS- the only times i have had electrical trouble after this is when the r/r cpu fan cuts off unexpectedly and the r/r over heats in summer temps. sometimes its cut, freyed, burnt wires and connections. other times it has been parts or components in the system somewhere have malfunctioned. another idea i will add, if im still having problems in the future i will be relocating the r/r somewhere else on the frame to help it get cooler moving outside air and keep it cooler. seems good for now though. once i made the system reliable, its usually the connections that need to be checked, not faulty components. this is just my own experiance on my bike. this has been long but, i hope it helps

Last edited by cBrentb; 10-08-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Default F4 fan kicks on--bike sputters and shuts off

Originally Posted by stampern
You are correct, it's not the relay or any part for that matter. It's either a connector up by ignition or a bad wire in the harness. But what I've found is that circuit is able to get enough power. Not because it's shorting out, it just simply isn't getting enough power. I ran a wire from the battery to that circuit and instantly my bike was running like it's supposed to. I've been running it like this for a few weeks and I haven't had a single problem. And my voltage doesn't drop below like 12v on that circuit. I'm going on vacation next week, but I'm going to build a new circuit that has a relay on it that turns on that circuit instead of the wiring running from the battery all the way up to the handle bars and back to the back of the bike - that's a lot of wire for something to go wrong. So I'm going to simplify it and see what happens.
Hello STAMPERN, i have the same exact issue with my F4--hot out, fan kicks on then starts sputtering until bike dies. Can YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS OR HOW TO DO THE HOT WIRE THING TO THE POWER RELAY? I have been going nuts, changing rectifiers, battery, stator--!!!uuuugh~! Please help?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 PM

I have of course had this issue as well. I've been dealing with it by turning the headlight off while stuck in traffic and no more stuttering but as soon as I flip it on if the fan is on the it starts stuttering. Just seems the fan is pulling too much power and because of that the plugs are misfiring. Just my experience.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 AM

How do we solve this problem man?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM

I'd do what that guy did and basically replace the whole electrical system. That is if you have the money. I dont :/

Quick Reply: Different low voltage issue!