CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style

So as said in the title I have the Cali style F4 and am getting ready to rejet it both main and slow might I suggest to everyone this website https://carbjetkits.com , you can actually do what they call a jet calculator. Anyway I am going to pull all the Cali emissions BS off it and then replace the Cali size 128 jets (all cylinders) for a 140/1-4 and 145/2-3 and a 40 slow jet I believe and 2 shims per needle (all cylinders). Basically I am really opening the ol' girl up to let her breath and see what she has been missing for the last 14 years.
But I need help, I have my repair service manual and have read that thing front to back several times and I know what all on the bike is part of the emissions control system but I want to make sure that I don't miss plugging an open intake/exhaust hole, so has anyone else done this conversions or heard of someone who has done it? Any help would be appreciated. Soon I will start putting pictures up for everyone to see. Thanks -Randy

Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

well theres the gas tank which can vent, no problem, then theres the airbox which needs to be plugged, you will either need to get block off plates for the pair valves or you need to loop them together. After that you might as well as remove the secondary air induction system (I think that's what its called) and rejet the bike with an aftermarket jet kit, put in a higher flowing air filter, swap the ECM with a 49-state one and put a slip-on . . . on. But thats just my two cents. Thats what I did and havent had any problems yet.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Lightbulb

These are the pictures I have available at this time, I will as I said before put a lot more up this weekend, consider this a preview. -Randy

Attached Thumbnails Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style-img_0341.jpg   Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style-img_0725.jpg   Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style-img_0726.jpg   Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style-img_0762.jpg   Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style-img_1061.jpg  

Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a solid bike.

Yeah, those plugs gotta go.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

hey just so you know, you dont have to drain the coolant to pull the carbs. If you are replacing the grips just cut the old ones off and use rubbing alcohol to put the new ones on. when you replace the oil get whatever just make sure its 10w-40 and the OEM honda filters are high quality so if you can grab one. I like water wetter and distilled water for my coolant, wont use anything else. there's a full system hindle on ebay but if you plan on selling the bike just get a slip-on. If you can afford it send your plastics to get repainted and stay away from anything that comes from china (HK too!) the clear coat is really brittle. I need to dig up pics of what to remove but I can help on the emissions stuff as well so far my favorite chain lube is the honda pro lube w/ graphite, its clean, easy and doesn't fling at all! Remember this is all my opinion and should not be taken as fact; sorry for the brief reply just typing right before a workout.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 PM

This is an excerpt from a conversation that CJardine and I had last night in regards to what I have done to my bike thus far. It was suggested to me to out it on this thread for everyone elses enjoyment so that is what I am doing. ...I thus far have replaced tires put Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S20s, a vortex 525 kit with the RK gold chain, Chain slider, rear axle and associated parts for that. Rear brake pads and brake line, replaced it with a Galfer braided wire line. Clutch cable, grips (still working on throttle grip) Basically rebuilding the handlebars, changed the spark plugs. Still in process change the throttle cables, rejet, remove the Cali emissions BS change the oil and radiator fluid (which engine coolant has to be replaced when I take the carbs off as you know) put a full exhaust then future is the F4i seat swap and redo plastics paint fuel tank and I think that will be about where I stop. I love my girl but I am only intending to keep her for another 2-3 years and then sell her and get a 1000rr.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM

You know though after reading everything I have done and am intending to do I don't know if I am going to be able to part with her. I might still get a 1000rr in a couple years but I don't know if I am going to sell her.
CJardine I already got the Motul 10w-40 for it the (race) formula as the bottle says which I assume is just a way for them to charge WAY to much money for it, but no less. Got that and liquid ice (non ethyl glycol) antifreeze. Next spring I hope to get her on a track and that is where I hope to keep her and let her live her life out as it was originally intended.<-(Overly dramatic tone... maybe, nah.) But yeah I am going to get this for the oil filter 1999 Honda CBR600F4 PC Racing Flo Oil Filter | MotoSport ; I think that will be the best bang for my buck especially if I do end up keeping her as a track bike. Then I emailed RRFairing.com last night and so I am going to do that instead of repainting as you will all see here in a couple days but yeah so I am going to do a custom paint for it just because she deserves it. Finally I have emailed Jardine about getting a full exhaust but they don't make them for a 99 apparently so I am still trying to figure that out still and Yoshi and Leo don't offer fulls for our bikes either. Thats where I am right now getting there but still a long road ahead of me. -Randy

Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

ebay and cl are your best bet. there is a hindle and an akrapovic ful system on ebay right now

Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ When you see those full systems, if you're in the mkt, you have to get 'em quick...b/c they are difficult to find these days for the F4.

However, unless you're going to be racing, you don't really need a full system.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks CJardine I will keep an eye on that from now until I can get one.
gotcbr I do plan on tracking this bike next year so that is why I am trying to get as much modding done now as I can when most of the things I need are on sale and I not burning track time. But I will be on the lookout for CL or Ebay. -Randy

Quick Reply: Converting a CA style F4 to rest of the world style