CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Clip-ons below the Triple Tree?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clip-ons below the Triple Tree?

In real numbers, the clip-ons can be had for $130 or less. And labor time to put them on in place of the OEM's is marginal. I am planning on just installing them above the TT's.

A. WAY less struggle to get them on.
3. because it is my do-everything bike.

I ride on the street to school and work more often than blasting the twisties with buddies. Iflean angleis too aggressive it will take away from the functionality.I don't want to hash anything unless it is absolutely needed, and anything directly affecting the ram air ducts is out of the question.

As far as the V-fairing, I think i'll just leave it out, unless I experiance troubles keeping her cool enough.

If I were just riding this bike hard all the time (and were installing a steering dampener), I would look into ways to install them under the TT's. But a serious issue comes to mind- tank slappers. If I have all that stuff in place that would hinderlock to lockturns, what happens in the event of a tank slapper? Does the stuff smash your fairings? Break off master cylinders? If mounting them under the triple trees would cause any of these things, (without a steering dampener) it too is out of the question.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Flip:

I was just taking a gander at your pics, and noticed the rear brake cylinderlooks like a Red Bull can. That is really cool! May I inquire as to how you did that? And if I may do the same on my bike?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM

I'll admit it, i stole the idea from someone else here.He said it was cool when i asked him, as he stole it from another site, so feel free. It is easy to do. You have to cut a slit in the can all the way to the bottom and half way through the bottom so it can fold over itself as you tighten up the clasp. The can is slightly larger than the cylinder, so if you just cut the top off, slip it over, and tighten up the clasp it will crush and dent the can and look bad.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's not the rear brake cyclinder...it's the gas charge for his rear shock.

flip is correct...this wouldn't be advised for a street bike where you take it to school, etc.
keep them up top...

Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 PM

I put a set of vortex clipons on my f4, theyre still on top of the triple clamp but they do lower the bars a little bit as well as push them farther out from the stock position if that was they reason you wanted to mount them under the clamp.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 AM

Tahoe, thats what I meant. I had a brain lapse- as soon as I typed it I remembered the name for the part.

And yes, I will be mounting them up above, thanks to everyone.

-Ian

Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 AM

CBRWRX:

Did you have to do any severe modding to get it all to fit up flush?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:26 AM

Here are a couple pics of my setup. The clipons brackets sit above the fork tubes. You could raise the forks in the clamps, for them the sit flush, but this would also lower the ride height in the front. Everything clears from lock to lock, its a tight squeeze for your fingers under the bars, so removing the ram air covers is recommended.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 AM

Heres another pic. I forgot to mention that i have replaced my old f4 parts with an f4i upper, upper stay and gauges. I didnt have the vortex clipons with the f4 setup so i can't verify that you master cylinder will clear when the bars lock to the left.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea that's what i'm talking about...it won't fit flush unless you drop the front end a bit, but that would make your front turn in faster but less stable.

cbrwrx...you on NASIOC? i just dumped my tahoe for a wrx wagon.

Quick Reply: Clip-ons below the Triple Tree?