CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Clip-ons below the Triple Tree?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clip-ons below the Triple Tree?

I have a quick question, and hopefully a quick answer. Has anyone tried, or seen favorable results to installing aftermarket clip-ons UNDER the triple tree? I have a 1999 CBR F4 and I and looking at getting Vortex clipons. The OEMs are on top, but I would really like to fit them down below if at all possible. I have heard of the master cylinder causing all kinds of problems. Input and/ or advice would be most helpful!

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Clip-ons below the Triple Tree?

I think it has been said here that there isnt room for low clip-ons, you wont be able to fully turn the handlebars without them running into stuff. That said, i've heard that if you want a few inches lower, you can install 1999 R6 clip-ons and it just about maxes out what room there is.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:57 AM

'99 R6's have 43mm fork tubes? I look into it, thank you.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Here a couple threads that talk about clips. I cant find the one that mentioned the '99 R6, though... i know i saw it here someplace...

https://cbrforum.com/m_840/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_156402/tm.htm

I think you can forget about them being below the TT. Even the aftermarket ones that change the angle and lower then a few inches are on top, there just isnt enough room on our bikes.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, F4 and F4i are very similar in those areas. you should be able to do so but as said before, you won't be able to fully turn your bars. you'll also need to remove the air duct covers. woodyracing mounts his below the triples.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Yeah, I thought under would be out of the question, but I felt like asking anyway. I have a decent cycle salvage near me, and come february (when they open) i'll do a little seek and destroy in Ye Olde Salvage Yarde. Is there a possibility of taking a dremel to the upper fairing to get clearance? If the master must be replaced, then so be it, but I would prefer to keep whats on it.

As long as I have your attention, and you seem to know what you are talking about...

I removed the fairing piece behing the front wheel,the cooling seems to be a little better than with it in. I know the piece was designed to force air into the radiator and cooling system, but it would appear to be running efficiently without it.Do youknow of anyone elsewho has removed this piece? If it is proven better intact, I will put it back in.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:05 PM

that black v-fairing thing? yes it's designed to direct air to the radiator...i don't have it one cause it's a pita to put on and take off...makes swapping fairings that much faster.

when you riding and air is flowing, it'll push loads of air to the radiator...the only time you need to worry about overheating and not getting enough air for cooling is when you're stopped at a light. in that case...the V-fairing is not going to direct any air at all.

as far as clearance, you can hack your fairing, but the rubber ram air ducts are still there. you may have to adjust your starter so it points differently and doesn't hit the top of the air duct. as far as hitting plastics, such as the upper or fairing stay, if you mount below the triple you should clear both. i know if you mount above, you'll have issues with it clearing the fairing stay...so most go with aftermarket fairing stay...or aftermarket radial style brakes.

woodyracing runs his below the triple. great for tracking and stuff, but sucks if you have to turn in parking lots, at the pit, etc. just know that if you mount above the triples, it won't sit flush with the fork tube...it'll be a bit higher, but it's not really a safety issue...like your clip ons won't be ripped off if you torque them down properly. you'll still get an aggressive stance too.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 PM

if you are going to get that involved in modding your clipsand are willing to invest that much into it, you may as well sell the F4 and buy a 600RR for a thousand or so more, instead of pumping 500-1000 into the F4... imo.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 PM

ummm...it's really not much work or bling at all...parts can be had for cheap if bought used....and rerouting that stuff...nothing at all...

Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM

You think it can be done under $200? If so, i'd look into it. Although, maybe not if it would make street riding a bitch.

Quick Reply: Clip-ons below the Triple Tree?