CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Cbtrez, Introduction/ Fuel system problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbtrez, Introduction/ Fuel system problem

Oh by the way, I did not introduce myself. I currently reside in upstate New York, Hudson Valley to be specific. I have owned 2 motorcycles. A KLR-650 (Kawasaki enduro) and my yellow CBR600F4 which i bought new.
Out of the 9 nine years i had it, it has been nothing but great as far as reliability and the fun ive had on it.
Only mods ive done to it have been K and N air filter and a Yoshi slip on.
I recently put on a new chain and a black smoke windscreen.
I have over the years lusted after a 1. 2003 Silver/Black R1, 2.Repsol CBR600RR, 3.this years Repsol CBR1000, 4.and this years (2009) Yellow R1.
I would never trade in or sell my CBR. Just not an option for me.
I have pondered the idea of getting Repsol plastics or to do a custom job to spice things up. But honestly I still get complements for the way it is.

My headers are very rusted and I've been thinking of putting a full system titanium pipe on it for along time. They use to have a Yoshimura full system titanium but it does not exist any more. Aropovic looks cool but its 1.5k, and i hear those have issues as far as leaking etc. I noticed a Ti-Force for 1k does anyone have any experiance with this pipe?
I also hear light weight rims drastically improve flickability. But are they overkill for the street?, and does the performance warrent the average 2k price? I would probrobly go for the Dymags 5 spoke. http://www.bici.co.uk/p/593236/dymag...-fitments.html
These ideas are nice to ponder but doing these mods would be overkill as far as money is concerned.
Anyway it is nice to be part of a forum such as this. I like to see what you guys are doing to your bikes as far as mods, customization and of course ideas about repair and improving performance.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Ok so far, I took off the carbs to clean them. This may have been a mistake because I have seemed to open up another can of worms.
After i took off the carbs which were a pain to get off, I look down into the intake valves with a flash light-----Orange flakey deposits---- above all the valve seats. What is this orange depsit and what would be the best way to clean it?
I would like to avoid taking off the valve body, because having an aluminum block there is alot that can go wrong as far as warpage and scratchs on mating surfaces.
I am not sure about chemical cleaners and most are ment to clean trough your fuel system. (Mix with gas type) If you have found the same please offer your expertise on this topic. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM

OK i got my Head/ valve body off. It seemed to be pretty easy cept for the cam chain tensioner. The retaining ring guide on the tensioner cracked, i previously read about this online. I think Honda did some kind of recall but i was never notified.
I also found rust on the Cam holder braket hardware once i took off my valve cover. 2 of the 16 screws were rusted on the heads. And the underside of the valve cover has minor spots of rust under the "Pair" valve.
So now im down the cost of a new cam chain tensioner and CCT gasket , a new head gasket and some minor hardware.
Since I have my head apart i wanted to check any leaking issues. So i put some kerosine in each of the intake ports and in the exhaust ports. i noticed my number #2 intake valves leak :P So I want to take them apart further to check the valves and the valve seats.
I bought a valve spring compressor from sears, but this one is way too big. I'm trying one out from www.pitposse.com atm. There is one avaible by Motion pro but its like $120 dollars. :P

Oh as far as that orange goop, it seems pasty and it has gotten everywhere even on top of my pistons so i guess its good i took engine apart.
Oh does anyone know about Manual APE cam chain tensioners i found them on http://cbrzone.com/sprockets.html. I am interested in upgrading my tensioner to this one.

Last edited by cbtrez; 04-22-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 PM

I think the orange goop may be buildup from old or poorly burnt gas. I'm thinking about upgrading to the APE tensioner too... read good things about it and there's tons of diy's online on how to swap it.

Good luck with everything else!