CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

CBR600FX (1999) Service. What Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600FX (1999) Service. What Should I Buy?

Hi All,
Going to give my CBR some love... and do a nice service on him. So, bought a K&N Chrome Filter, however, what would people recommend on oil? I've read the Haynes manual and was going to go for
this fully synthetic 10W40 this fully synthetic 10W40

Then, spark plug wise, was going to go with these puppies. Are there performance ones that I could get, like platinum or something like I have in my Saab? Worth it, or just stick with these?

Now, question here is air box. I have a standard one, but was looking at going K&N Air Filter or one of the aftermarket ones. If I do, will it mean tampering with carb setup or will it be a direct replacement or is it even worth going K&N... should I just stick with a bog standard one?

Last edited by Pugheaven; 06-16-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pugheaven
Hi All,
Going to give my CBR some love... and do a nice service on him. So, bought a K&N Chrome Filter, however, what would people recommend on oil? I've read the Haynes manual and was going to go for this fully synthetic 10W40

Then, spark plug wise, was going to go with these puppies. Are there performance ones that I could get, like platinum or something like I have in my Saab? Worth it, or just stick with these?

Now, question here is air box. I have a standard one, but was looking at going K&N Air Filter or one of the aftermarket ones. If I do, will it mean tampering with carb setup or will it be a direct replacement or is it even worth going K&N... should I just stick with a bog standard one?
Sounds good, The Oil i carnt comment on as i didnt have mine long enough to change it before someone pulled out on me :/

The spark plugs you can get Iridium spark plugs which are better and made a huge difrence when i put 1 in my 125. HONDA CBR600 NGK IRIDIUM PLUGS 1991-2000 CR9EHIX-9 | eBay

And with the air filter yes you will have to up-jet your carb to get the most out of it.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

You don't HAVE to rejet the crabs you just might run a bit lean with an aftermarket air filter and exhaust, unless you plan on taking it to the track you should be fine. I run full synthetic and my bike loves it, but others have found that theirs like good old dino, so as long as its ment for bikes you'll be fine. Oh and if the maker of your oil makes a filter grab that filter instead of the k&n. Spark plugs, go with iridium you won't be dissatisfied. Oh and don't gap them, they come pre gapped.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 PM

Mmm, this has me a little worried about the after market air filter... as it's just a replacement one BUT obviously a lifetime one... I didn't think id' make much difference... when you say run lean... would this long term cause problems? Nope, I won't be visiting any tracks... just road riding?!

Yeah, will get that iridium plugs then... £28 is only £1 per plug more than normal ones. Excellent and you reckon they're already at the correct gap distance?

Last edited by Pugheaven; 06-16-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I checked mine and they were fine, the box says preset gap and you need to be careful not to f*ck the tips up. You will be fine with a k&n air filter. Tons of people use them with an aftermarket exhaust, myself included. In order to milk everything out of the bike you need to rejet. Just remember for the price of one k&n you can buy 2 - 3 oen filters. Something to think about. And there is nothing wrong with the oem ones either.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Thumbs up Cheers mate

Originally Posted by CJardine
I checked mine and they were fine, the box says preset gap and you need to be careful not to f*ck the tips up. You will be fine with a k&n air filter. Tons of people use them with an aftermarket exhaust, myself included. In order to milk everything out of the bike you need to rejet. Just remember for the price of one k&n you can buy 2 - 3 oen filters. Something to think about. And there is nothing wrong with the oem ones either.
Ok mate, cheers. I'll stick with the K&N one though, don't mind about a few more pennies and it'll last as long as I have the bike anyway so in the long term... it'll work out better... as I tend to service cars around every 6k miles, so thinking every 4-6k on this bike... make sure it lasts nicely.

Cool on the plugs, will remember to be careful when I fit them. Will get it all ordered this week me thinks and make a start soon. Get everything fresh as a daisy for the summer :-)

Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 AM

UPDATE: Iridium Plugs bought for £25, K&N Chrome Oil Filter £10 and K&N Air Filter for £24... so now it's just the oil really... not sure what oil to go for, semi synth, fully synth, 5/40, 10/40 etc etc... Mmmm I know I've asked this before, but what others use on their F4's?

Also, just for interest, how often you guys change the oil and oil filter?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 AM

I had a lot of questions about oil when I just changed it in my previous bike. Basically what I gathered was fully synthetic is pretty much for racing. It's kind of a waste to use it just for road riding. Semi-synthetic is better, it will last longer, but it's a lot more expensive. I decided to just go with regular four stroke motorcycle oil. Regardless of what you go with, just check it every now and then, make sure that the level and the color are good