CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

CBR F4 won't start - Fuel Pump, Relays? What else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR F4 won't start - Fuel Pump, Relays? What else?

Hi folks,
I'm from Germany and after getting not that much feedback in german forums, I'll try it here. And I already appologize for my english hopefully you'll all unterstand what I mean.

Last weekend my bike ran completely out of fuel and went off (really stupid mistake in 3 years of owning...). After getting some gas in the tank, it ran only on 2 cylinders. I got a tip, that the membranes of a few carbs were stuck, so I disassembled them an cleaned them.
Connected everthing to the right place, the bike still did't start. I bypassed the fuel pump and connected the tank directly to the carbs. The machine started running without any problems.

So the problem must be in the fuel pump-system...

What I've already tried:
- Renewed line filter
- Replaced fuel pump mechanics (the installed ones in the pump had been totally burned out)
- Checked all fuses

- Measured the pump relay according to honda instructions (I get a voltage between the pink/yellow and ground connector!!! it shouldn't be there)

- Bypassed the pump relay, so that the pump should run while ignition an switch is set to RUN (bl/blue and bl/wh cable), BUT it did't run (relay plugged in, bypass cable inserted in the connector

- Measured the fuel cut off relay (bl/blue and ground connector and the is also a voltage that shouldn't be there while ignition is set to ON...)

- Tested another pump relay (of a friends cbr F4) and the same thing whith this one. Bypassing didn't work and even with this exchanged one there was a measured voltage, that is faulty acc. to hondas service manual...
What we didn't test was the cut off relay. Is there a possibility to bypass this relay?

So actual situation is:
The tank is connected to the line filter, fuel pump. the exit of the pump goes through a hose to a little tub.
The carbs are feeded directly by a small 2nd canister.

When I turn the key to ignition (kill-switch is set to ON) the pump relay, the fuel cut off relay and the solenoid valve relay makes each a click, while the fuel pump "pestel" does one movement up and down, so the magnet switch in the fuel pump works once.
After turning the engine ON the pump "pestel" goes up and stays there, while the fuel pump is slowly heating up.

I really want to get the bike running with the line filter and the fuel pump, so I can use the reserve light

So any advice is welcome!!

Things I'll do tomorrow:
- check the harness for frayed cables
- check the harness for bad connectors
- maybe burn the bike^^

Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man!

I did the exact same thing as you on thursday. Ran out of gas... same symptoms appeared also. I still cant get the bike to stay started.

I forced some fuel into the fuel line with a syringe. that got it started for about 5 minutes until it ran out...

My guess is that the fuel pump isnt pumping....??

Did you manage to fix your problem? how did it work?