CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Carb problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb problem?

Hi guys, I just picked up a 2000 F4 and recently had a problem. I was riding to school this morning and the bike bogged down and then shut off. It was a little reluctant to start back up but it did just fine. I also noticed that when I would stop, it would idle off. I ended up having to keep the choke on the entire ride to school. It was at about 30-60 precent open. It seemed ok when I had it like that.

Did I simply not allow it to warm up properly? Come to think of it, when I first got out of my apartment complex, the temperature gauge was only at 25%... My last bike was fuel injected and I always said I would never go back to carbs, go figure, lol.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM

sounds like carb needs a bit of tlc. if bike dies while idling, then mostly its the pilot jets that are clogged. while you at it, might as well clean all the main jets.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Thats what I figured... I just emailed the seller (I purchased the bike yesterday and the guy claims that it was in PERFECT condition...).

When I rode it home today, it always died when coming to a stop. I turned the **** by my rt knee (adjustment ****) and that seems to possibly led to a temporary fix... Looks like I just got myself into a world of headaches...

Is there a writeup about taking apart the carbs and cleaning them? I have never done it but am mechanically inclined and can do nearly anything with a walk through (changed a transmission once).

Also how hot do these bikes run? On the way home there was quite a bit of traffic and the temp gauge got to 75% is that normal?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM

The previous owner says that it could be a stator problem... is this possible? It never hesitated starting back up, just while acceleration and idleing. What rpm is the stock idle? I have it at about 2k right now and it seems pretty stable.

One other thing, the front brakes have a hard shake... Its like the ABS feeling... stop, no stop, stop, no stop... its pretty violent. I also noticed that it tends to make the bike turn off too... I used my rear brake on the way home and that helped tremendously. Could the violent jarring have caused anything?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your fuel feed & run seafoam thru it first. See if that helps. Sea Foam Sales Company

Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Is there any way that this could be tied to the electrical? The guy says that he's sure its the battery or regulator.

Also what temp does the bike stay around... mine got to 75% on the gauge on my ride home?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM

+^seafoam cleared up the ****ty idle mine had when i bought it

Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Corrosive
Is there any way that this could be tied to the electrical? The guy says that he's sure its the battery or regulator.

Also what temp does the bike stay around... mine got to 75% on the gauge on my ride home?
If you can start your bike everytime without a struggle, then most likely the problem is NOT electrical.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Check your fuel feed & run seafoam thru it first. See if that helps. Sea Foam Sales Company
X2.
do that and see if it fixes the problem. if not, then you can always take carbs apart later.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Seafoam it is. Can I get it at walmart or do I have to go to a motorcycle specific shop? I could have sworn I picked it up at walmart before, but you never know.

I kinda figured that about the electrical, just figured I'd ask.

Quick Reply: Carb problem?