CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Carb cleaning writeup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008 | 07:52 PM
Default RE: Carb cleaning writeup?

ok thanks bergs ill sync my carbs and whats the best height for the floatsand the right amount of vacuum should the carbs be pulling ?

Old 01-17-2008 | 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: serge1284

ok thanks bergs ill sync my carbs and whats the best height for the floatsand the right amount of vacuum should the carbs be pulling ?
Float height specsare bike-specific.

A service manual helps immensely and even beyond the book, there are a few tricks to getting accurate measurements and accurate adjustments.

Some floats aren't adjustable and if they are out of spec, new floats are recommended.

Based on your questions, I would not tackle this if I were you unless you have an experienced person right there to guide you.

That's not meant to be a dig. In reality, it will cost more time and frustration in the end if you mess up and end up having to trailer the bike to a dealer or experienced person to make it right.

Old 01-17-2008 | 04:56 PM

yo bergs sorry for that stupid question i should of researched it before i asked ,i looked it up on the HOW-TO section and it seems like something i wont be able to tackle myself so ill just clean & sync my carbs and leave the floats alone cuz one rider wrote that he bent his and the bike would not even start ,thanks though

Old 01-17-2008 | 06:20 PM

No stupid questons that I could see.

If you really want to get them cleaned and set the float height, you can send your carbs to me and I'll have them turned around to you within a day. I see you're in PA....I'm inNH.

The sync is on you as it's my belief the proper way is to use the engine they're attatched to.

PM me if you want and I'll get you more details.

Old 01-17-2008 | 06:38 PM

just sent you PM

Old 12-15-2008 | 11:56 AM

bumble bee, I see you said something about intake carb cleaner for the spring. Where do I get ahold of some of that and is there any specific kind you need for a bike? Do you just run it through the gas tank or hows that work...

Old 12-15-2008 | 04:37 PM

quick question.....if one of your floats was "stuck" would it cause the bike to perhaps leak gas when parked? Mine has recently started to leak gas out of the tube connected to the fuel pump (I think its the fuel pump).

Old 12-17-2008 | 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: platnumbob

quick question.....if one of your floats was "stuck" would it cause the bike to perhaps leak gas when parked? Mine has recently started to leak gas out of the tube connected to the fuel pump (I think its the fuel pump).
Yes, a float could be stuck, or could be full of fuel.

To the OP, I wouldn't touch the carbs if the bike is running well. Carbs are the kind of thing that once they are set, they stay. Other than the occasional bottle of gumout there is no reason to touch them.

If you are new to bikes there are things you can do to keep your carbies clean and healthy during the boring winter months.

Old 12-18-2008 | 05:15 PM

Good to know, it was either that or I thought the fuel pump might be faulty. Is there any easy way to "unstick" a float? I have never gone that deep into an engine but I suppose I have all winter.

Old 12-19-2008 | 05:06 AM

You'd have to pull the carbs off and take the float bowls off to get to the floats. Check them all that they all move freely, and don't have gas in them. Do not grease the pins, as gas will dissolve the grease and there is stuff in grease that can clog the jets.

Quick Reply: Carb cleaning writeup?