CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike Wont Start Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Wont Start Help Please

Hey guys, this is my first post on these forums, even though I am looking through threads everyday, I can't seem to find the solution.

About a week ago I was out riding and my bike stalled out at a light. 10 mins later I managed to get it started back up and as soon as I stop, stalls again.

I take the bike home and take apart and clean the carbs and replace the spark plugs and now the bike won't start at all. Tank is switched to on, primed it, etc. Any suggestions?

Also before it really got f*** up the bike was slow, acceleration was poor. I could barely get past 90 on the highway. Figured it was the carbs

Old 10-20-2016, 01:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

(Assuming you did your carbs correctly) Does it crank right now?
If it does, have you checked fuel/air/spark/compression
I know you said you replaced the spark plugs but can't hurt to check to rule out everything
You could try some starter fluid to see if it's a fuel delivery problem or not

Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
(Assuming you did your carbs correctly) Does it crank right now?
If it does, have you checked fuel/air/spark/compression
I know you said you replaced the spark plugs but can't hurt to check to rule out everything
You could try some starter fluid to see if it's a fuel delivery problem or not
Yea it cranks but won't turn over. I checked all spark plugs and they have spark.

I also loosened the drain screws on all the float bowls and they dripped gas so I'm assuming it's getting gas. Idk how to check compression though.

I'll try some starter fluid tomorrow! I never used it before

Old 10-20-2016, 04:53 PM

So I just tried to start with carb cleaner instead of starter fluid and it started for a quick second and died.

Also after hitting the starter a few times gas started dripping from the carbs. Checked plugs again and #1 was wet. All others were fine. Any ideas?

Old 10-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendonmgg
So I just tried to start with carb cleaner instead of starter fluid and it started for a quick second and died.

Also after hitting the starter a few times gas started dripping from the carbs. Checked plugs again and #1 was wet. All others were fine. Any ideas?
Oh hmm that's very interesting...
For compression you can either buy a compression tester, it screws into the spark plug hole and then you crank the engine for a few seconds or you can try the old thumb trick if you have room enough (you place a thumb over the spark plug hole and it should blow off when you crank the engine)
However it does sound like a fuel delivery issue. Do you think it was possible it was leaking fuel before (whether from a float going bad or gas valves or something else) and ran rich (thus the slow acceleration)? Maybe cleaning the carbs made the leak worse (by clearing **** out) But I don't really have much experience with carbs so hopefully someone else can chime in.
One last thing I'll add is maybe crank WOT before you do more tests, to clear out the cylinders just in case you got a lot of fuel in it. If it was leaking gas for a long time the cylinders might be washed as well (dunno how likely that is though)
Wish I could help more