CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike stalls and red light on dash and other warnings

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Opo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bike stalls and red light on dash and other warnings

Hello everyone. I searched around a lot before posting this issue I've been having but I wasn't able to find an answer.

I just bought a 2000 Honda CBR600F4 and the previous owner told me that the thermosistor needs to be replaced, and thats all it needed.

I have it pretty well stripped down now because I plan on replacing the thermosistor as well as doing a full tune up on the bike.

Before I stripped it down I had it idling for about 15-20 minutes and it was idling fine but it eventually started to stutter a little bit and eventually just stalled itself, it would start right back up, but the battery also died after about 4 or 5 times and it is a brand spankin' new gel type battery. Does the alternator not charge the battery good enough at idle to stop the battery from going dead?

But I also wanted to show you a video of the dash after the bike had stalled itself out.

here it is:

2000 Honda CBR600F4 red light on dash after stalling at idle - YouTube

what does the solid red light mean and how can i get it checked? the guy said he got it checked and thats what told him the thermosistor needed to be replaced. but i'm hoping i don't have a charging issue too

Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 PM

You Sir.. Have an F4i.....

Unless he did the front end conversion on it...

None the less.. the Red light is the overheating Light.. So yes... A new thermistor would be correct..

The Battery problem.. .. If you keep trying to start the motorcycle over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over the battery is going to die sooner or later.. i dont think the alternator has enough charge while just idling to keep the battery charged.. But i could be wrong..

Last edited by Dfbewley2; 08-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Opo
Exclamation

thats what i thought too but the VIN decoder just says F4. but i have seen those been wrong before. it also has the split style seat if that helps at all.

yeah i'm changing the thermosistor sensor tomorrow and then going to make sure the fan and everything is behaving properly. thanks for the response.

anyone know about the possible charging issue? the headlights have been re-wired so that both bulbs are on at for low and high beams, with the bike sitting at idle with both low beams on would that have been too much for the alternator to keep up with and allowed the battery to go flat?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Opo

first of all, thanks for the help i appreciate it.

someone must have done the front end conversion on it because the VIN decoder says its a 2000 F4 but it has the LCD dash and different headlights that are more like slits not like the rectangle. and its carbbed not fuel injected. it also has the split style seat. so it has to be an F4 with some conversion work done on it right?

i will be trying the new thermosistor tomorrow and then checking and making sure everything is good and that the rad fan is working happily as well. thanks!

yeah i think it was me that killed the battery in combination with the re-wired headlights. i only tried to start it 5 or 6 times after it had stalled then it wouldn't crank anymore, but i don't think there actually is a charging issue i was just worried thanks, hopefully i don't have a charging issue.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if its a 2000, then the previous owner swapped the F4i cluster in but didnt swap ion the necessary temp sending switch.. get one for a 98-99 CBR900RR and you should be fine. The gauge and idiot light will work as they should. Most bikes dont charge enough at idle, but as was said before repeated cranking and cranking will kill a battery quick.. not stone dead but enough to stop it from crankin anymore..

Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
if its a 2000, then the previous owner swapped the F4i cluster in but didnt swap ion the necessary temp sending switch.. get one for a 98-99 CBR900RR and you should be fine. The gauge and idiot light will work as they should. Most bikes dont charge enough at idle, but as was said before repeated cranking and cranking will kill a battery quick.. not stone dead but enough to stop it from crankin anymore..
^^^ THIS!
i forgot about that Temp Swap.....

Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Opo

thanks! thank god you guys saw this and replied or i would have been buying the wrong part lol. thanks again i'll post how it works out tomorrow

Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 AM

If its carb'd... Then yes its an F4... He probably did a swap and forgot to switch out the Temp sending switch like turbulenz said.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post a pic of the bike.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Opo

So I tried everything to get the sensor today but unfortunately the earliest I can get it is first thing tomorrow morning. Heres some pics of my bike, I have it all stripped apart right now because I had to totally re-do the headlight and signal wiring because the previous owner/s didn't do it neatly at all.

Can't wait to finally ride it.

Last edited by Sprock; 08-17-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: YOUR PIC LINKS ARE BROKEN ...edited out !

Quick Reply: Bike stalls and red light on dash and other warnings