CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike dying at High speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike dying at High speeds

I got the relay put in today and still no power to the fuel pump? Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Old 05-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Alright I think I have figured my problem out, but now I am really confused. If my kill switch is in the off position when I turn on my key there is no prime of the fuel pump (bad). If the kill switch is in the on position when I turn on the key the fuel pump primes and I can ride above 45 mph. That seems very odd, has anyone else ran into this?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:15 AM

good_gravy i just sold my bike. Im done ****ing with it man its been nothing but a problem since i have had it. I am getting a 1995 cbr 900 rr. Good luck with your bike man.

[/align]

Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Well, I've seen a lot of people with the issues of having their bike die at higher speeds and no one seems to have the answer to this. I called American Honda at 866-784-1870 and talked to Alex. Maybe if everyone starts calling them to tell them about the crappy problem, Honda might do something about it. Alex also told me that if you took your bike to the Honda Dealership that the mechanic has an 800 number that they can call and talk directly to the person who designed the F4 at Honda. He would not give me the 800 number, but everyone should start calling American Honda and then maybe someone will be able to get that dang number for the guy who designed the F4 and get some real answers!!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:18 PM

I seem to have a similar problem. I was going to work, low speed in small streets for 20 minutes. Got on the highway, gunned it, it caughed a little once I got of throttle, and 2 minutes after, stalled at highway speed.

Happened a few times, sometimes high speed, sometimes low speed. I cleaned the carbs, changed spark plugs, just need to synchronize the carbs ( waiting for the tool to show up ).

Could it be possible the carbs not being synchronized cause the problem? I can hear a ... bubbling sound comming from the exhaust. The bike surges while at constant speed.

Any advice is appreciated

Gabe

Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Anybody found a fix to their problem?

At this point I am considering buying a new fuel pump and both relays, just so I can remove those part from the diagnostic process.

Gabe

Old 06-15-2008, 01:56 PM

I bought a '99 F4 about a month ago and had this problem a week later. I changed the fuel filter and the problem dissapeared, but I think it's actually related to heat...
The problem returned on Friday after work. It died on me 4 times on my 8 mile drive home. I brought it to the shop on Saturday morning but they were unable to recreate the probem so they were really just looking blindly for the problem. The mechanic ended up changing the fuel line between my tank and filter saying that it was unnessecarily long and as a result was bent on a fairly small radius.
So my theory is, based on the feel of the fuel lines, that when they get warm, they get easier to bend. So on hot days if that tube is already bent tightly, it's possible that it could bend tighter or even kink, restricting flow to the engine. Same goes the vent line, causing a low pressure in the tank making it harder for the pump to draw fuel. Or for you guys saying your pump doesn't run sometimes, there's no way your fuel is going to flow just from gravity if you've got a low pressure in your tank.
Anyway, my suggestion is shorten or replace your stock fuel lines before trying anything pricey. Keep in mind it's only been a day since I've "fixed" the problem so I may not even be close. But I did drive from San Diego to LA on saturday afternoon and no problem sitting in traffic or doing freeway speeds (and maybe a little faster...)
Good luck, and I'll keep you posted if the problem comes back.

Also, for you guys saying your fuel pump isn't running below certain speeds: I have a clear fuel line and can see that mine turns on just reving it in neutral.