CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

2000 CBR F4 No Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 CBR F4 No Power

I bought a 2000 CBR F4 with about 11,000 miles on it last year. I rode it for a season and it was amazing....

During that time i changed the oil (full synthetic)...and had the cam chain tensioner replaced (the dealer told me that it needed to be done)...I honestly just believed him...and paid to have it done.

I put the bike away for the season...started it...turned the gas off...let it run until the fuel ran out...and pulled the battery out.

I started it a few days ago...it started right up...I took it for a short ride and it seemed fine. I rode it to work...it was warmed up...not over heating...something let go...I lost power...and it sounded like a lawn mower...I understand it's tough to tell a sound when you can't hear it, but has anyone ever heard of this or had it happen to them?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no electrical power or motor wont run? If engine seemed to run good and then just started dropping off and getting gutless I would check the fuel pump and its relay. Happened to me a couple of times.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 PM

It honestly sounds like all the cylinders aren't firing...I'm afraid to pull it apart and have a blown head or head gasket...

Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Sorry I should have specified...the bike starts and runs but there is no power from the motor...like i said it sounds like all the pistons are not firing...I have felt a head go in a car before and it felt the same way.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm guessing plugs

Old 03-18-2010, 02:09 PM

I can't lie I would absolutely love you to be right! I'm going to pull it apart this weekend. Is it possible for a plug to just go like that?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by DylanNicolini
I can't lie I would absolutely love you to be right! I'm going to pull it apart this weekend. Is it possible for a plug to just go like that?

Yes. It's also possible for the fuel pump to be sporadically working or not providing enough fuel which will give you the sensation you described. Your gonna have to trouble shoot a few things but thats where i would look.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM

I guess since it could be a fuel issue...it's also possible that the carbs have gotten gummed up from sitting all winter? If all the pistons are not firing...does it hurt the motor to try to start it?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Default Does it Hurt?

You can't tell if it will hurt if you don't know for sure what it is. That said, if it's turning it's turning - can't see how would damage anything. There's a big difference between the pistons not moving and "not firing".

If its running, but it's running like crap - you've pretty much got the two places to look. Obviously there is fuel and spark (your first two major items) - but is there enough fuel? Could be a clogged filter or a pump that's crapping out. Is there spark at every plug?

...and if there is spark at each cylinder, and fuel flow to the 4 carbs, is the fuel then getting to all cylinders? Maybe one carb is gummed up.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM

start in the obvious places.

first, check your air filter (where did you store it? possibility of small rodent, funny but it has happened)
next plugs. they are a bitch, pull all the hoses and label them, if you just bought the bike might as well change them so you know when they were done.
did you turn your gas back on? or did you turn it onto the reserve tank?
buy a manual, lots of troubleshooting tips especially if your doing work yourself.

Quick Reply: 2000 CBR F4 No Power