CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

2000 CBR F4 choke questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 CBR F4 choke questions

Hey everyone....I am helping out a friend who just bought an F4 (he has no experience when it comes to the mechanics of bikes). It is currently sitting in my garage...we replaced the spark plugs....cleaned everything (thanks to sitting out in the arizona elements) and now we are trying to put the air box back on along with fixing the choke cable. This bike was in pretty bad shape when he purchased it. It ran....but you can tell that whomever owned it did not take care of it. So far we have cleaned and tightened the chain....flushed the back brake (still have to do the front) cleaned and oiled the k & n filter, lubed the cables.....and that is where we are having problems. The choke is not cooperating with us, we can get the lever about half way down...then it gets stuck. everything is opened up to make sure it is not binding anywhere, but we just cant figure out what the deal is. also, there are a lot of vacuum hoses on this bike and the book does not give a clear picture as to where everything goes....(it is my fault, i should have taken pictures before tearing it apart)....so i was wondering if anyone has some descent photos of where all the hoses actually go regarding the airbox. I own a 03 600rr, so I am used to fuel injected side of the house and not a carburetor....any advise/help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are links to the factory Honda service manual here on the forum. There are some pics/illustrations in there.

Is it a 49 state bike or CA bike w/ emissions canister, etc.?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:23 PM

My 99, the choke was stuck closed. I took the grip off and took the actual lever off the clip on and replaced that with one I knew worked. It fixed it 100%.

I thought the cable was getting stuck somewhere but it turned out being the lever. Couldn't tell why though.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:28 PM

regarding whether it is a cali model or not...i have to wait till i get home to look it. tried figuring out via the vin....but nothing on the www

@kingkong....i will take a look at what you mentioned.....and let you y'all know the outcome!!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 PM

got the choke working....just had to detach it and lube the hell out of it. now just got to put all the plastics back on and clean her up...

Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by rhondamera
got the choke working....just had to detach it and lube the hell out of it. now just got to put all the plastics back on and clean her up...
Outstanding! Glad its working. Good basic maintenance goes a long way!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I highly recommend a paperback copy of the service manual. It will make working on the bike so much more enjoyable.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
I highly recommend a paperback copy of the service manual. It will make working on the bike so much more enjoyable.
Or just download the PDF & print it out. ;-)

Old 12-24-2011, 03:55 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Kinkos FTW. I did that + found a used clymer for $10 on ebay. the cross reference is nice but is overkill for most things

Old 12-24-2011, 10:56 AM

yeah...i managed to download the pdf and print if off at work. we put all the plastics back on the other day, cleaned her up and took it for a test ride. everything seems to be in order! it is pretty sad how people can neglect and/or not know basic maintenance of their baby!!

Quick Reply: 2000 CBR F4 choke questions