CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

2000 CBR 600 F4 will not start - died halfway thru drive.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 CBR 600 F4 will not start - died halfway thru drive.

Hi, I just purchased a 2000 CBR 600 F4 yesterday from a guy in West Chester, PA and I live in Philadelphia. My cousin took it on a test ride and everything (I followed in car) before I purchased it and everything seemed fine - guy even rode it to the auto tags place to switch title. Half way to Philadelphia, the bike died as if the battery died - got it jumped and when we got back to Philly and cut it off, it would not start back up. Do you think this also has to do with the old R/R of the F4 like I have seen in other posts. This is my first bike and I'm totally bummed out about this. But if an upgraded OEM R/R could do the trick for around $150 - I would be ok... Please help!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Dont just start replacing things. The R/R can be a problem but most likely isnt. Does it turn over when starting? Is your battery fully charged? Can you pop the clutch to start it? Are you getting gas to the carbs? Spark to the plugs?

These are just a few things to start with. Next you get the service manual and a multi-meter tool. I had a similar problem - died once hot and wouldnt start event though it turned over - it was the ignition pulse generator. I also had a problem with fuel-pump relays. so test and trouble shoot.
Good luck.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM

i had somewhat of a similar problem.. on mine the problem was the gas line and at the top there is a piece that is suppose to have a curve to it.. i had that replaced and havent had a problem ever since if this helps at all

Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the testing. Way too many things from the stupidly simple to the horrendously expensive that could be wrong. Start with the basics. Check the fuses and the battery. Make sure all the major connections are good: starter, kill switch, ignition, spark plugs cables.

Honestly I doubt its something serious. Usually when our bikes turn out like a light, its usually something stupid and simple. Its when they give plenty of warning we ignore is when its trouble

Holla if you need some help

Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 AM

Thanks for all of your responses!!! Really appreciated because I had no idea where to start. I downloaded the service manual as suggested and purchased a battery charger that the battery is on now. When I took the battery out, it did look very old and shady - so hopefully this is the culprit. I am not going to lie, I am super newbie and really do not understand many of the terms: Like how would I know if I am getting gas to the carbs and spark plugs? When I turn the key, would just click like a car would if u have a dead battery - but not enough juice to start the car. Later on today I will buy a multi-meter tool and start testing things.

Last edited by Jab_da_man; 05-14-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by CSD10
i had somewhat of a similar problem.. on mine the problem was the gas line and at the top there is a piece that is suppose to have a curve to it.. i had that replaced and havent had a problem ever since if this helps at all
Hi, How did you find out this was the problem? Did you take it to a shop or you figured it out on your own?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Ok... Update - I took battery out last night and put on slow charge for 10 hours like stated. Run multimeter tool on battery and I got nothing.... I did read somewhere online that bikes need the battery when they are running unlike many cars - said if it is a bad battery... the strat will be putting incorrect charge in batt and it can put the bike in shut down mode. I'm not sure how true this is - but I am hoping!!! I get off work in an hour, and that's when I am going to purchase a new battery. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again for all the input.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motorcycles do run off the battery. The stator recharges them as the bike runs. The regulator / rectifier changes the AC current from the stator to DC and regulates the voltage so it doesn't cook the battery. Btw, the stator won't charge the battery at idle. It needs real RPMs to provide the necessary voltage.

Take the old battery with you when you go to get a new one. Both to have it tested and disposed of properly. If you do get a new battery, don't just throw it in the bike and ride off. New batteries need to charge too.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM

To check gas to the carbs, remove the line under your gas tank that goes into a Y and gas should flow out. Its at junction 44 below. here is a link to other parts diags for the bike
http://hawkworks.net/F4-fiche/
To test for spark atthe plug, remove coil (probably coil 4 on the far right) and stick in to it a nice fatty spark plug (remove the brass 'nipple' as bike plugs dont have this) hold against engine block and turn engine over (if it can - if not this comes later) it should *spark* dont worry it wont kill you.
Battery is very important so good luck on that. as said above - let the new one fully charge before popping it in there.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM

my rr fried a few days ago and it took my fuel pump with it. so check that too. make sure its got the proper flow because mine would flow but it was sporadic.

Quick Reply: 2000 CBR 600 F4 will not start - died halfway thru drive.