CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

1999 CBR600F4 "trackfighter" project

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweeeet and coming along nicely man!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 AM

The bike was fun on the track. I had hoped to properly set the suspension beforehand, but I didn't have a chance, but didn't have any issues. It successfully filled its mission of letting me feel more confident on the track without worrying about binning my street bike. The first few sessions I took it really easy, since I had only done a mile or so around my neighborhood at 30-40 mph, and took me a couple sessions to trust the bike and feel confident on it. By the end of the first afternoon I noticed a big improvement in my riding compared to last year's track day.

New York Safety Track (NYST) is a great track, great pavement, and a good variety of tight turns and longer sweepers and elevation changes. They're in a legal battle with some neighbors regarding noise and other issues, hopefully the track stays open, because I'd love to go back.

Here's a picture from one of the first sessions:
http://572creations.zenfolio.com/p599945078/e34bd2b66

Last edited by MattR302; 09-02-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Great picture :-)

Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Replaced the clutch lever pivot bolt, which disappeared at some point in the last 2 track days. Mounted the front fender on, since riding on the wet track my previous track day without just sprayed water all over me.

Did another track day on it on 8/17 at Thompson Motor Speedway in CT. Wasn't the best day, as my knees were bothering me and I couldn't move around well, riding felt like a chore. Best pic from that day
On Track Media LLC | TTD_Thompson_8-17-14 | Photo 1402

This past weekend I added ebay $14 china tank grips.

I've got 2 more track days scheduled at Thompson later this month. Prior to that, I want to get the suspension a little better suited for my weight. Right now I'm about 185 plus gear, and I'm a medium-fast slow group rider. My local suspension guy recommended a respring and refresh for both the front and rear, but I think that's a little more than I want to spend right now. I'm thinking to just change the fork oil and dial in the stock adjusters better.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Yep, same conundrum here... in the end with suspension, I went for a full service on the fronts and Friday I get my new Nitron Damper and Spring set fitted, can't way.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 PM

Few updates. Bike is back hanging from the garage ceiling. Forks and shock are off. Forks are at my suspension guy getting new springs and oil, and the Penske double clicker I acquired a few months ago is getting a rebuild.

Tempted to pick up a set of Dunlop Q3's with the rebate they have going on until the end of this month.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Piccies? Complete now?

Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Some updates. Last month, there was a brand new track opening up about an hour and a half away from me, in Palmer, MA. The organization I usually ride with, Tony's Track Days - Motorcycle Track Days in New England, had a big part in working with the track owners and management to help get this track running. The opening motorcycle days were Memorial day, and the following Tuesday. I didn't plan on going, but seeing some videos of the tonystrackdays crew running some testing laps the week before got me excited. So the few days before that I worked to get my bike back together, a hitch installed on my car, and borrowed a friend’s trailer since my parents sold my usual track day hauler, their Dodge Grand Caravan. Talked to some friends on Monday who were riding that day, they said it was awesome, and I signed up for Tuesday.

Got to Palmer Tuesday morning, took my wheels off to get my new Q3’s put on, went to the rider’s meeting, got back to my bike and found some fork oil leaked out of the bottom damper rod bolt at the bottom of each fork. They had a suspension guy there, Peter Kates from GMD Boston, and we got those bolts snugged up, wheels back on with new tires, and only ended up missing the first session. Had an awesome day, Palmer is an awesome track with a ton of elevation changes, and noticed some definite improvements in my riding – I got more comfortable moving around on the bike, and for the first time was noticing my chest and inner elbows on the tank in the corners.

June 8 I rode a track day at Thompson, CT with Penguin Racing. I noticed more improvements in my riding that day, particularly on right hand turns, which usually is my “weaker” side. I actually dragged knee for the first and second time ever, in Turn 4, a downhill, off-camber hairpin.

No more track days planned yet for the next 2 months, but I’m itching to get back to New York Safety Track, NYST. I just got the suspension refreshed and resprung, but I’d like to get the preload and the settings dialed in better before my next track day.

Refreshed Penske shock installed.

Newly refreshed and resprung forks leaking...

Palmer Motorsports Park, 5/25/2015

Thompson Motor Speedway, 6/8/2015

Old 06-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1999 CBR600F4 "trackfighter" project

Nice, looks like fun!

Old 06-18-2015, 02:47 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Hell yea brother! I loved my penske until I had to give it up when I swapped subframes kinda miss having a lesser known, and american, shock. Did you ever get your suspension sorted?

Glad to see someone at a track! The cosest I've been to one in the past year is driving past buttonwillow, feeling like those guys with the mall crawlers that never see dirt!

Quick Reply: 1999 CBR600F4 "trackfighter" project