CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

1999 CBR600F4 Rebuild (Photo Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:40 AM
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 1999 CBR600F4 Rebuild (Photo Heavy)

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums but not new to riding. I just recently bought a 1999 CBR600F4 that had been laid down then subsequently sat for a number of years. while sitting, it looks like one of the carbs drained the gas tank into the engine and turned to varnish. The sad part is that this bike only has 7000 miles on it. When it went down, it destroyed a lot of parts. It ended up damaging the following parts: mirror, front brake lever, clip on, throttle, side plastic, front foot peg, rear brake lever, rear foot peg, slip on, rear fairing, tail light, and the undertail fairing. due to the varnish in the engine, I had no choice but to tear it down (not to mention that it was seized). everything I have cleaned I have done so with nothing more than a brass wire brush, plastic brush, purple power, and acetone. here is the progress i have made thus far.

The day i picked the bike up

broken clip on and related components

broken foot peg and brake lever

bent foot peg and bashed muffler

broken tail fairing and missing tail light

Prepping to remove engine

no more engine

Engine out

signs of varnish and fuel staining on left side of head

top end of cylinder head looks pretty clean. I numbered each valve lash caps to make sure i dont mess up the lash

cylinder head removed

things look pretty nasty in here

you can see where the level of fluids were by the line of brown

clutch basket is smoked, a few are even broken into pieces. entire clutch pack was stuck together when i removed it

got the crank out and it looks unsalvageable

its not rust, its just varnish

the power of purple! purple power and a brass wire brush cleaned up the lobes pretty good.

cylinder walls look pretty good

look even better after a cleaning! (again, purple power and a plastic brush this time)

piston was stuck in the bore due to the varnished fuel and stuck rings. thankfully it didnt mess up the walls on the way out.

conn rod before...

conn rod after glass beading

transmission before...

transmission after glass beading (i disassembled it and didn't do the bearings of course)

oil pan before...

oil pan after cleaning with purple power and a plastic brush

bottom half of engine case before...

bottom half of engine case after cleaning with purple power and a plastic brush

how it sits while i wait for parts

clean as a whistle

The following users liked this post:
IDoDirt (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Hey, looking really good. Thanks for posting up.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

project update:

i finally got the bike put back together yesterday. im very upset with myself because in the process of bolting the 2 case halves together, i did not notice that one of the bearings on the transmission was not aligned with its dowel pin and i ended up blowing the dowel pin out of the top of the case. i plan to fix that with the tig welder. put it all back together and went for a test fire and all i got was cranking and cranking and cranking...turns out i (like most of the people on this forum) DONT HAVE SPARK! I immediately assumed pickup coil so i put an ohm meter on it and i get an open reading. took the side cover off to find the wire broken right off at the base of the pickup coil. i have a new one on order (aftermarket Caltric) and hoepfully this will solve my problem.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Ouch, that had to hurt. Hopefully the welding will take care of the issue. Good luck and thanks for the update.