CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Wth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wth?

Okay guys, So I was riding my bike on a local highway, going about 80. I JUST changed the sprockets and chain and thought the bike was back in perfect order...WRONG. I look down and my spedometer is at zero. Then I realized I couldn't hear my muffler anymore. "Now that's odd" says I to myself, so I coast on over to the side of the road and take the side fairings off trying to find a loose connection or something. Nothing.

The lights that indicate the bike is on won't even flicker. Nothing registers when the key is turned, fuel pump, everything. My dad gets there in his work van and we check the battery, still good.

So are there any suggestions as to what my problem may be? Any main wires I need to check? It's not the R/R, I replaced that a little ago and besides the symptoms were different. Could it be the stator? I've never had to deal with that one yet.

There's 30,000 miles on my bike (if that's important) but what I'm thinking is it's either a loose connection or a faulty cord (broken, burnt, etc.) period. I also checked the fuses and they were all good.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 AM

first thing I would check is your fuses. I had one where the guy before me had rigged a wire to read off a fuse and tadah it would vibrate loose and shut the bike off- no bueno.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 PM

Ok, so me and my dad checked it out, and at first thought it was a bad starter relay. We put a new fuse in the relay and my dad was just gonna show me it would work but would go bad again, but when he connected the (I think negative) wire to the battery, it blew the fuse immediately, so apparently there's a short in one of my wires. Anyone have any suggestions on which wire to check (would just be a shortcut, if not I guess it's trial and error)?

Side note: I took the tank and air filter off, planning on cleaning the carbs while I was at it. Might as well you know? NEGATORY, they're not giving me problems and this is the first time I had looked at this bikes carbs. Couldn't be MORE of a pain it looks like.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 AM
March 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by soccer13pro2007
Side note: I took the tank and air filter off, planning on cleaning the carbs while I was at it. Might as well you know? NEGATORY, they're not giving me problems and this is the first time I had looked at this bikes carbs. Couldn't be MORE of a pain it looks like.
The first time you pull the carbs you will be swearing a little bit, and to make things go smoother have some whisky handy too.
LOL

I got very frustrated my first time i pulled the carbs but now it is cake, just have a lot of patience and you will be fine!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM

[quote=soccer13pro2007;804241]Ok, so me and my dad checked it out, and at first thought it was a bad starter relay. We put a new fuse in the relay and my dad was just gonna show me it would work but would go bad again, but when he connected the (I think negative) wire to the battery, it blew the fuse immediately, so apparently there's a short in one of my wires. Anyone have any suggestions on which wire to check (would just be a shortcut, if not I guess it's trial and error)?

A fused starter relay could itself cause a short. Start testing your 12v from the battery and work your way into the bike, when you find one that doesn't have it coming out the other side, you found your problem.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by soccer13pro2007
Just because they're not giving you problems doesn't mean they're not eating your performance. At 30k, you absolutly should be cleaning them. They're not hard if you have long enough tools. I've done mine 4 times, and I can get them out in about 30 min now. The service manual has a GREAT walkthrough for it that I use.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a couple straps around them and lift up on them with an engine hoist... they come off in a couple pumps. No problem!!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah, pulling them off wasn't the issue for me, it was getting out the two stripped to **** screws on the inside carb clamps. Thank God for grabbits.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Ok I'm back again. I had ruled out the R/R because I had just replaced it last year, but apparently it's gone bad again. I'm thinking I either bought a crappy one, or there's a problem with either the Stator, Alternator, or Battery. Any suggestions on what else could cause the R/R to go bad so fast? And are my current ideas good guesses?

Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 PM

You ever ride in the rain? I know its far fetched, but obviously water can wreak havoc on the R/R. And is it grounded well?