CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Won't stay on/Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't stay on/Loss of power

Hey guys. I'm going nuts and still in need of getting my bike on the road. I bought my 97 F3 back in February which needed a new rear tire and a new battery. When i brought it home i replaced both of those items and she ran strong for the first 20 miles. Then after that it just became a huge headache. She died on me on the freeway. I was in fifth or sixth gear when i noticed that there wasn't any response to the throttle so i quickly pulled over to the side of the road. When i got it home i replaced the stator, r/r, and battery hoping it would fix the charging system.
But after that it still having trouble. I even brought it out to a shop and they said she's fine and just needs a "better" battery and a r/r which I have both replaced AGAIN. Iam now stuck and i don't know what to do anymore. So now i've replaced the r/r(electrosport), stator(rick's) and the battery(yuasa) but she still loses power/dies. And as she stands right now, she cranks but won't start. Can anyone please help me? Sorry if this somehow don't make any sense. I just want to get this thing on the road.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:06 AM

Damn man, that is a long and expensive list there! I'm sure someone with much more experience will chime in but in the mean time I'm going to say its your fuel pump. Have you tried checking that?
I had the same problem on the freeway last month and it was caused by my fuel pump contacts sticking. I would deff. check that before replacing anything else

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 AM

Yeah I know man. I'm tired of throwing cash at her and still not be able to ride. I have not checked the fuel pump yet. That is actually on my next "to check" list. Definitely awesome info on this forum. Just hoping that someone can get me on the right track. But thanks schroncc i'll def check the fuel pump.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 AM

That totally sounds like fuel pump. If it were the r/r it wouldn't crank cause the battery would be dead. I'd put 20 bucks on fuel pump, mine did the same **** when it went out

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Yep id also put my money on the fuel pump. My bike used to do the same thing with my old pump because of bad contacts. Idodirt has a good write up on how to replace the contacts for a 1/4 the cost of a new pump.

When i was having problems with my bike it would start up cold. run for a few min once i get on the street it would go into 2nd then die. I could take it out of gear and try to start it, Nothing. id have to wait for the fuel to flow through the dead pump to get enough into the carbs to start again. Pushed it home alot lol.

Try this before dumping any money into the bike. Bypass the fuel pump to help narrow down your problems. You dont need the pump at lower RPMs so it wont cost a penny to bypass it to help narrow down the problem.

Also very rare and very very rare if not the pump could be the Fuel Cut Relay. Its a solid state device so they normally are super reliable but you never know. Check out some of idodirt's post he is fuel pump and fuel system wiz.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks guys I will definitely check out the fuel pump. I'm hoping that should be it. It sounds just like turbotransam because last time i had her running she died right after i got her in 1st gear.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Hey guys so i checked the fuel pump contacts and they were pretty dirty. So i did what someone on the forum had suggested and tried cleaning it up with sand paper. I tried that and lo and behold she started no problem! But she sounds weak, when i would use the throttle its like she's choking and can't get past beyond 3k. I recently switched plugs 1 and 4 around but found out that they were in the right place the first time so then i switched it back, but it didn't fix the misfiring and weak sounding problem. I know for sure that my fuel pump contacts needs to be replaced but what's the problem with the choking/cant get past 3k. What's the deal?

Last edited by Cabbage; 04-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Could still be fuel problems. Go to Autozone or some other place and buy a piece of fuel line. Run it straight from your tank to your carbs (make sure you have a pretty full tank of gas) and try that.

When my fuel pump went out I replaced the contacts, ran fine for a while, then the contacts started to stick. I found out that something in the pump had cracked and was letting gas into the contact area and fouling them up. I replaced the whole pump with a used one and now its running fine.

I'm still putting my money on the pump. When your bike is running, reach down and feel the pump. You should feel it beating like a little heart, should be noticable and constant.

If its still giving you problems after you trying running it straight from the tank I would look into the carbs next. For some reason your not getting fuel. Make sure you didnt pinch any fuel tubes when you put your tank back on

Old 04-21-2010, 05:22 PM

you said you switched plugs 1 and 4 around. were you talking about the plugs themselves, or the plug wires? if you have the stock wires, the right coil should have a very short wire that go's to number 4, and a really long wire that go's to number 1. the left coil pack should have a wire that is 1" shorter than the other, and it go's to number 2, and the longer one go's to number 3.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 PM

Thanks schroncc ill try that sometime this week. Is there any some sort of "how to" in the forum somewhere? I'm kind of a visual learner.

Intiractive i was talking about the plug wires. i swtiched them around but found out that it was in their right palce to begin with so i switched it back.

Last edited by Cabbage; 04-22-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Won't stay on/Loss of power