CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start

i bought this bike from a friend it had been sitting for about a year and did not run. i bought some parts and got it running. it didnt have a lot of power. but ran. i replaced the ingnition on it and now it wont start. i tried putting the old one back on and it still wont start it will turn over but wont fire any addvice?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: wont start

Are you getting a spark? Is fuel getting to the cylinders, can you smell gas when you pull the plugs ? Do you have gas ? Is the petcock open ?

Some of these things seem simple, but sometimes that's all it is.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 PM

yeah the "do you have gas" is a big one----done thata many of times---damn Honda and not putting a fuel gauge on our bikes! When you get it running definatly get it in to have the carbs cleaned and tuned and a valve job

Old 12-27-2007, 08:36 PM

How's the Battery? And check your fuel filter. Infact go ahead and replace it even if you think it's okay. It's only $20 from Honda.

Did you drain the gas tank? Where was this bike stored? Plugs of course need to be checked and probably replaced if you haven't done it yet.

My F3 was a project bike from the beginning. Infact here is a picture of what it looked like

And did you wire the ignition back on correctly?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 AM

the bike is in the back room with my 929 i put new plugs in. i have a full tank of gas. the valve is open, im gettin spark but im not sure if fuel is getting to the cylinders. if i spray starter fluid to the carbs it back fires. the crapy part of it is, is know my 929 is doing the same thing.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:59 AM

clean the carbs?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:07 AM

i might know someone that has them ill see if i can find him next week.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 PM

Going to bet the farm that it is the slow jets on the carbs...give her full choke and a bit of gas and you should atleast get a kick or two in there. May not actually start and run but it should show signs of life. I agree with replacing the fuel filter but it shouldn't prevent it from starting at all, although it will definitely impact it from maintaining an idle or certainly any real speed once started.

I would also pull and clean the plugs (if salvageable) otherwise throw new ones in as likely they are fouled.

Dennis

Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 AM

just put new plug in here the others were fouled. still no fire she turns over the fuel filter is new could it be a computer problem

Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, it sounds like you're not getting fuel to the bike. But I would also make sure you're battery is in good shape. I bad battery will not creat enough spark. If you have 13 + volts, the battery is good. If your battery checks out, check the fuel system. If you have a spare key, open the tank fuel cap and try starting the bike. If the bike starts up with no problem, plugged tank vent. If you still don't have anything, bypass the full pump by connecting the line output line of the pump directly into the fuel filter. This will dump fuel into the carbs. If you still don't get anything, I suspect the carbs. The bike could have run briefly because the carbs weren't plugged and after you ran it... lodged debrie in carbs (like a blood clot in people). Good luck with this.

Quick Reply: wont start