CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

wondering if no exhaust is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wondering if no exhaust is bad?

Just wondering if running no exhaust would be bad for my bike. I did a search and didn't find much in the forum. although i did like the sound even though it was really loud. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Default RE: wondering if no exhaust is bad?

Not the greatest thing because you will loose a lot of low end power from having no...NO backpressure. And not to mention you will be pissin off a lot of people with a loud abnoxious bike that will make all sportbikes look bad. Why cant you justuse a slip-on?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM

I had planed on using a slip on Just right know money is short. I guess you have a point about pissin people off i dont want that not to mention making the sport look bad. sorry for the stupid question.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Naw, its worth askin. My F4i had a D&D with no packing in it when I first got it and that was insanelly loud! It got to the point where I couldn't stand listening to it as a rider. I repacked it and added some steelwool in the center to add some backpressure. Now she idles nice and has a good range of power. You should keep your eye out for a scraped up D&D from someone who went down. You can normally cut off enought to get rid of the rash and then just polish any other marks right out. That way youd have an awesome lookin pipe and still have one hell of an agressive sound

Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 AM

I had a guy wanting to give me a vance and hines for free, I just pay shipping but i must have made him made because I didn't know how to ship the box to him. kept pming him but no reply.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 PM

i took my slip on off, and yea its loud but i ride with a few ppl on gsxr's and there all open pipe are v&h side winders which is open pipe also, so riding with them it jus seems necessary

Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM

yeah when you remove the stock exhaust its stupid loud and doesnt sound healthy in any way
partly because with the stock exhaust there is no seperate"mid pipe" that connects the header to the muffler

but when you get an aftermarket slip on it has a seperate mid pipe between the muffler and header so you can take
off just the muffler section and it actually sounds alot better then running only headersand actually looks pretty decent too

but theres just too much of a power loss to justify not using a muffler

maybe on a weekend cruise or something i might take off the muffler

Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 PM

power loss is the least of your worries with no muffler on there and just a header. running an open header also risks cold air being sucked back into the exhaust, potentially causing an exhaust valve to break/crack. as I see it, that combined with the noise levels from that header being able to cause hearing damage/draw attention from the police, isnt worth the risks.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM

if your jus doing open header i think you can burn a valve, mine ends comming out by the rear tire where my rs3 slip on goes

Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM

whoa whoa whoa, I have a D&D
Northern, I noticed mine was a straight shot through too, how do you put steel wool in there without it blowing out? is there something I can weld to the inside somehow or some other way to add permanent back pressure without taking away too much sound? I noticed with the stock exhaust my revs were a lot shorter due to the back pressure, but I LOVE the sound of my D&D

Quick Reply: wondering if no exhaust is bad?