CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Winter project 2009.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter project 2009.

So somehow the other day I lucked into putting another CBR in the garage (the 17th CBR I've owned). 1995 F3, runs and complete but very ugly - $400. The frame, swingarm, rims etc had a sh*tty red rattle can paint job, the mix of stock and aftermarket body had many cracks and discolorations.

Started with a compression and leak down test. All compressions came back in the 190's, leak down under 10%. Pretty damn good for a comparatively high mileage motor (42k). Check valves, all intakes were tight but exhausts were fine. Par for the course. Scoped the valves and cylinders and they still look great. Got to hand it to Honda, they can build a damn motor.

Tore the bike down to bare frame. So far I've sandblasted the swingarm and misc pieces. The plan is to powder coat everything black. I'm considering an Hong Kong special body kit (Colin Edwards Laguna Seca?). Ebay has been pretty good to me - picked up an Ohlins/Lindeman racing shock and an Arrow race exhaust. We'll see how it all looks when it comes.

More news and some pics to follow.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet.. cant wait to see it... i love that kit on a 900rr..

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 91 F2 about 6 months ago and got a pretty decent deal on it. It was one of those deals where 100 other people were chomping at the bit to buy it also. So, I made a quick decision to pick it up and then the project began.

It didn't have a chain on it when I bought it, which was a little sketchy to say the least. The day after I bought it I slapped a chain on it and took it straight to the mountain. It ran like a champ, but when I would get on the brakes lightly the bike would jump all over the friggin place. Ended up, that the steering stem adjuster nut was not even hand tight! I started to adjust it out and thought why not just go ahead and replace it. That way it is nice and fresh. Well, one thing led to another and the motor was sitting in one corner, the frame in another, and the rest of the parts in another corner. If you knew me, you would know that taking a small task and turning it into a huge project was standard operating procedure. So anyway, I ended up having the frame sand blasted and powder coated black. I sent my shock and forks to Traxxion dynamics to have them race prepped for my weight. Installed new steering stem bearings, front wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, and rear wheel bearings. I pressure washed the whole thing once the main components where assembled and cleaned the carbs. About 2 months later I slapped some new Bridgestones on her and took it to Road Atlanta for a trackday. Best d**m day I have had in a long time, might I add. I was very impressed that the thing was still running. I don't think it seen under 10k all day long.

I let it sit in the garage for about a month and decided that I should check the valve lash in case it needed adjusting. Long story made short, I ordered oversized valves, having the head ported and flow tested, bought an HRC racing cam, and doing a 3 angle valve job. I am also making some titanium retainers for it too. I appears as though I just can't leave sh*t alone.

Hope you don't mind me thread jacking, just though I would share my experience.

Josh