CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where to start?

Okay, got almost everything I need to get the bike ready for the new season (still waiting on spicy's gauge mount and have to buy paint supplies). But dunno where to start. Here's a list of things I want to do (hopefully before I give into the urge and hop on her). Can usually get about 2 hrs outside to wrench her per work day depending on the weather.
  • Replace wire harness
  • F4i gauge swap
  • Replace swingarm
  • Swap radiator
  • Swap clipons
  • Flush both brakes
  • Install undertail
  • Clean and spot paint frame (can't remove the frame to completely redo it)
  • Strip & polish rims (leaving the tires on)
  • Minor repair & repaint the fairings
  • Setup the suspension (not entirely sure about this one cause I really don't know what I'm doing here)
  • Relocate alarm & LED controllers into the undertail trunk (means rerouting the wires)

Suggested plan of attack?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Here's today's update.
  • Have a friend coming by to help with the wire harness. He's better at organizing wires than I am
  • Spicy can stop worrying. The gauges will go on today when the harness is done
  • Ditto on the undertail. Need the wires in place and will relocate the LED controller into the undertail trunk
  • Holy chit! The radiator swap is a pita! The PO's mechanics 'improvised' fitting a radiator in my bike. Now the one that's supposed to go there is missing won't go cause I'm missing many, many bolts
  • Brake flushing went great. Glad I never relied on the rear brake cause that snot prolly couldn't stop a feather!
  • Gotta dig through my tools to find an hex to tighten the clipons
  • Gonna hold off on the cosmetic stuff till I get some rides in

The radiator is amazingly fecked up. Looks like they used engine mounting brackets to jimmy the old radiator into place. Anyone have any pics of their radiator? Especially of the mount points and the radiator hose routing on the right side of the bike?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have really good pics of what you need, but i have a few random pics i took a while back when my bike was naked....

here is a pic of the right side as requested... hope it helps...

ill see what other pics i can find that might help

Last edited by andyriot; 03-21-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell Kuro, sorry I forgot to take the pics, but I also have tons of hardware, and ill look tomorrow, and look for any mounting hardware for ya that you might need to hold it in place correctly.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks y'all. I'm so FECKING PISSED right now. If I could get my hands on whoever worked on this bike, I'd FECKING CRIPPLE HIM. Not kill... Oh no. That'd mean his suffering was over too FECKING FAST!

Name:  2010-03-21150009.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  92.5 KB
I knew the radiator was wrong but I didn't know how wrong!

The radiator on the right is the replacement I got off Ebay. The left is the one I pulled out of my bike. Look at the old radiator. Do you see what I see??? ENGINE MOUNTS! Yup, that's right. To make their improvisation work they used spare engine mounts to hold the old radiator in place! No wonder my fairings never fit right. Thought it was the bent fairing stay.

My friend and I ran out of daylight getting the wire harness in place (the beer didn't help our speed). The undertail is gonna need some different mounting bolts but it's mostly in place. Didn't get the gauges on cause we hit a few snags untangling the old harness. Let's just say thank God the chances of the rear shock fully compressing the spring are miniscule... Then think about how that could possibly be related to a wire harness. Yup... wires wrapped around the rear shock.

I found evidence of a major past electrical issue. Burnt connectors at almost every connector for the charging system on the old harness. R/R and stator connections clean. So I'm assuming the r/r went prior and was replaced since I haven't had a charging issue. Should get everything but the fairings back on the bike tomorrow evening

Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 PM

yea looks like you will need a new wiring harness if you have multiple connections that are burnt.

good thing most on ebay are cheap, and
personally,
for the wires near the r/r and such, i spliced my own higher gauge wires just to be one the safe side, and wired them in...
my r/r gets pretty toasty after a decent ride..

Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 AM

correct me if i am wrong... cause i am just looking at the pic..
but is the left radiator not curved? maybe its just a funny angle..
but the f2's have non-curved (straight) rads, and it looks kinda like one.

jeez man.

But i see what you mean about those engine mounts
im sorry k-money.. i laughed harder than IDoDirt did at my crocodile leather seat cover.... bahahahah

Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 AM

lol this is number 3 k-money and i am lazy to edit a post, but.. i heard some guys who swapped rads due to size and space and weight for track reasons... everyones shaving off a few lbs these days...

could that be why it was on there?
maybe he bought it off a guy as a replacement and didn't bother to read about it fitting f2's only

(i still love you k)

Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 AM

No, Spicy you were 100% correct. The old rad is not curved. Dunno what bike it came off of. Can't be a weight thing either cause it feels heavier.

Because of the Mickey Mouse improv they did, the radiator hose on the right side sat lower than it was supposed to. So the right engine cover didn't fit. So they drilled a hole in the upper and the engine cover to bolt it in place with a speed nut. Which I removed and repaired the hole in the engine cover. Which is why every pic after originally getting the bike is missing the right engine cover

Big big big big thanks to chuckbear for both the F4i gauges AND replacement wire harness for a great price. Got the gauges on your mount Spicy. Just need to finish routing the wires on the fairing stay and can permanently mount them. Not gonna paint the mount cause I've got something else in mind.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
No, Spicy you were 100% correct. The old rad is not curved. Dunno what bike it came off of. Can't be a weight thing either cause it feels heavier.

Because of the Mickey Mouse improv they did, the radiator hose on the right side sat lower than it was supposed to. So the right engine cover didn't fit. So they drilled a hole in the upper and the engine cover to bolt it in place with a speed nut. Which I removed and repaired the hole in the engine cover. Which is why every pic after originally getting the bike is missing the right engine cover

Big big big big thanks to chuckbear for both the F4i gauges AND replacement wire harness for a great price. Got the gauges on your mount Spicy. Just need to finish routing the wires on the fairing stay and can permanently mount them. Not gonna paint the mount cause I've got something else in mind.
yes I am almost 100% sure its an old f2 rad then.
I know people with f2's that do the conversion up to the f3, so hell why not backwards right?..

I have pleanty of hardware for ya if you cant get it mounted right..
the new rad will run a hell of alot cooler and better IMO.. should fit like a champ.
gonna throw some water wetter in there?

the lower center cowl doesn't line up right with it, but yea yea who cares when you are trackin it.

glad to know things are looking up for ya!
not painting the bracket eh?... gonna light it up?

Quick Reply: Where to start?