CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

What to look for when purchasing plastics

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when purchasing plastics

Laid the bike down in a decieving corner yesterday evening. I'm fine (sprained left index finger, and right thumb), however the bike has cosmetic damage. When I knew I wasn't able to complete the corner I feel I did the right thing by slowly getting on the brakes, setting it up, brake a little harder and aiming for the grass. Was going about 25-35 when I laid it in the grass apposed to laying it down at 50 on the asphault. Anyways, I'm looking at Fairing kits and Ebay now. Kind of leaning toward the Repsol or Smokin' Joe kits. Is there anything I should be keeping my eye out for? Certain Materials? Bad Products? Bad Ebayers?

Also, and I inspected the bike and other then the fairings and wind screen, the only other thing that I see needs to be replaced (fixed?) is the area the holds the gauges (they are turned to the left, can't turn the bars all the way)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Default RE: What to look for when purchasing plastics

Damn buddy sorry to hear that, you just got that bike. Alot of ppl on here have bought from some guy mung88 i think redzintimidator bought some might ask him .he posted a bunch of pics in this section afew pages back,7 or8.from what i've heard mung88 is kinda back logged.Again sorry to hear what happend. how bad are the fairings?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:00 PM

Yah, have to learn somehow though. The nose and entire left side are toast. Right lower and right rear are fine.

Parts list:
Bird Cage
Wind Screen
Clutch Cover (damage pre-accident)
(1) Exhaust Spring (missing pre-accident)
Headlight (broke a mounting tab, thats it)
Fairing Kit
Mounting Screws
Helmet

I inspected everything and other then the parts listed above all is fine. After replacing the cage I'm going to take it in to have it looked over just to make sure.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:15 PM

I purchased the tail fairings from maier and they look great and mount perfect. The pieces are plastic which is also a plus. The ebay pieces are either fiberglass or cheap plastic and they don't always mount up well.I purchased a kit from emotoskinz for a f2 and they were ok. Needed to be fixed in certain spots due to the fiberglass being cracked or too weak. One positive about fiberglass though is that if this were to happen again they could be fixed for next to nothing. Best bet honestly is to hunt down oem pieces off ebay, strip, sand and paint them. That way you are insured of everything looking and fitting perfectly.