CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

what does it take to bend the rear subframe of a 98 f3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry what does it take to bend the rear subframe of a 98 f3?

Im just at a point in my project where i am mounting a yamaha r1 tail, and i need to make some adjustments to the rear frame.

I need to bend the aluminum just behind the battery holder up a couple degrees, and I tried using a butane torch ( same thing you would use to solder copper pipe for plumbing ) and it largely had no effect on heating the pipe enough to bend it.

Anyone have suggestions ? I could go get a pipe bender? but i thought heating the aluminum would be enough... suppose not.

thoughts?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 PM

To be more clear, i have cut the welding (at the very back) of the bottom aluminum rails that runs up the back of the subframe, so right now its just the two rails at the top that i need to bend more.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 AM

I know of people using propane torches. It might get it hotter and softer to bend.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:09 AM

That's what i thought as well... I think tonight im going to find myself at the local hardware store to get a large steel pipe that will go around the rails i need to bend.

heat + leverage = bent pipe.

Of course, i could just cut the metal, make my joins and take it to get all welded. but that would just eat up more time and resources.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Try MAPP gas. It burns hotter than propane. Usually right next to the propane in the stores. Yellow bottle instead of blue.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM

I used mapp gas and a big pipe when I did my rr conversion. worked like a champ

Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Mapp gas for sure... butane won't get you anywhere.

You'll need to cut off the braces in the center to bend it... you'll also need help from someone to hold the frame down while you bend. I gave up bending and started hitting it... waaaaay faster and easier, turned out same as bending it.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by kerosene
Mapp gas for sure... butane won't get you anywhere.

You'll need to cut off the braces in the center to bend it... you'll also need help from someone to hold the frame down while you bend. I gave up bending and started hitting it... waaaaay faster and easier, turned out same as bending it.
ha, hitting it... with what? a mallet?

so, this MAPP gas... could i find this stuff at home depot, or am i going to go to some welding supply store? and as for the top of it, sorta like the propane torch it comes with that removable nozzle.

nevermind, found some online at my local canadian tire... cuz, im canadian.

anyhow, i have removed all the braces, and cut the welding at the far end. so im ready to go. i will pick up a couple bottles of this stuff and see how it goes. i dont need to bend it too much, but enough for the r1 tail... which i might add requires a lot of fab work for it to fit. may have been smarter for me to just buy the subframe and mod that to fit the cbr frame... oh well.

will do a follow up tomorrow.

thanks for the feedback.... oh and kerosene, seriously, what did you beat your frame with...

as a followup, do you think just running the two top rails would be enough support for the dual exhaust and my seat? probably not huh.
n.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy yourself a nice pair of welding gloves, and make sure everything else that wont melt aka wiring is off the bike.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 PM

what does it take to bend the rear subframe of a 98 f3?-bath-time-brennin-018.jpgwhy are you trying to bend the sub frame i didnt have to bend mine when i did it i put an 07-08 r1 tail on mine

Last edited by moostadon; 05-21-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: what does it take to bend the rear subframe of a 98 f3?