CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

what to do if you drop/dump? also stands questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do if you drop/dump? also stands questions

hey all just wondering what are you supposed to do when you 1) lay the bike over at a stand still and 2) if you dump the bike going at speeds?

i've looked around and read a few things but just wanted some clarifications. one thing is to turn the fuel petcock to off and turn off the engine and wait 5+ minutes before you try to start again. another is to stand the bike up and just wait some minutes before you start. some suggested to wait 30 minutes and to also check fluids and what not.

anybody mind giving me some clear cut answers? i'm not sure what i should do when i drop/dump my bike

also what kind of bike stand is recommended for a 97? looking for one for winterizing soon but not sure if i need only rear or rear and front. also some opinions on certain brands and what not.
i've heard of pit-bull (durable but oh so expensive), checkered flag, vortex, and t-rex but haven't had too much luck in finding reviews for anything but pitbull and checkered. thanks

Old 09-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can't recommend a brand of stand. I can recommend getting a front stand tho. During colder weather, tire pressure will drop. And your bike will be sitting in the same spot on the front tire for a while with lower tire pressure.

Will it hurt the tire? Dunno. But as far as precautions go, you get a front stand that you can use if / when you need to work on the front end. And prevent possibly needing a new front tire as well. If you go with a front stand, get one that lifts by the steering stem for maximum front end maint options.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
can't recommend a brand of stand. I can recommend getting a front stand tho. During colder weather, tire pressure will drop. And your bike will be sitting in the same spot on the front tire for a while with lower tire pressure.

Will it hurt the tire? Dunno. But as far as precautions go, you get a front stand that you can use if / when you need to work on the front end. And prevent possibly needing a new front tire as well. If you go with a front stand, get one that lifts by the steering stem for maximum front end maint options.
Stands are well worth their cost. Nice thing is you buy them once and you'll have them for years. Look on Craigs List or Ebay. I use ones from SteelHorse Fabrications. They got a good review from WBW. I've been using them for about 4 years now with no problems. I have both the front stand and rear stand. You can't use a front stand without a rear stand. It's really unstable. You can't use a Steering Stem stand on the F3's because the D.A.I (Direct Air Intake) duct is blocking the bottom of the steering stem/tripple trees. You'd have to remove the duct before using, which doesn't make sense.

As for what to do if your bike falls, or goes down while moving. The main thing really is to get the bike upright again as soon as possible. Waiting a few minutes is probably before starting again is not too bad of an idea so that fluids that sloshed around and got into places they shouldn't have, get the chance to go back. I know many people, including myself who've dropped bikes and picked them back up and started them within a couple of minutes with no ill effects.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:20 PM

thanks guys, just what i wanted to know

also wondering, is taking the ducts off easy? i would like to get a front stand as my bike sits through the winter here after thinking a lil more about what kuroshiro said

my bike will sit for about 5-6 months so i wouldn't mind the peace of mind

Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

There are 2 different types of front stands. One that lifts from the bottom of the fork tubes, below the front axle. The second one is the type that lifts from under the steering stem. This is the type that would require removing that duct. No, it's not easy to remove that duct, or at least not worth messing with. Especially since using the other type of front stand will work with no modifications at all.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommended the steering stem type because I needed to raise the front end. Regular front stands would not work in that situation since I had to adjust the fork height. I doubt I'll need to do it again...

But conceivably I might have to replace a fork tube or do fork maintenance. I however have a motorcycle floor jack for that. 5-6 months through cold weather? You'll definitely want to get pressure off the front tire. Or go out there every day and move her a little so the pressure isn't on one place the entire time.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 PM

I laid my bike a couple of times. Just picked her up and fire her up. If you dont see any massive leaks it should nt be an issue. You ll have to hold start button a bit longer before she starts. Or you can just wait till the carbs get filled with fuel.
I have T-Rex stands. Can say that they are POS. But what can you expect from cheap brand. Not really durable, they bend easily. If you plan to do some fork maintenance get the one Kuroshio suggested. Dont be cheap. Good stuff costs more....but it is worth it.
Ride safe!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

I have a Pit Bull stand that I bought for 80 bucks from a local parts guy. I used to use it for my Ninja 250, and when I got the F3 it still fit on the swing arm no problem... its a good stand in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

I think a new Pit Bull stand cost 140, its quality havent had it bend or anything...

Old 09-14-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio

Will it hurt the tire?
YES. Severe temp fluctuations from winter weather affect the rubber and can severely decrease tire life and tackiness. If you can't store your bike in a temperature-controlled environment, at least pull the tires off and bring them indoors.

I strap my bike to a Craftsman motorcycle jack I bought at Sears, and bring the wheels in the house. Just check the straps every couple of weeks.

As far as stands go, if you're not at the track every day and using the hell out of them, then just get whatever's cheap.

Quick Reply: what to do if you drop/dump? also stands questions