CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Wether or not to drain the carbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wether or not to drain the carbs

I have a 96cbr600, I have stabilized the gas and run it long enough that stabil should be in the carbs. I did this about a month ago, and I should be able to get the bike out for a ride by early to mid April. My question is, is that long enough for the gas to varnish since it is stabilized, or am I fine leaving it as it is. Also, is that a long enough time that I should try and fog the engine if I have time, or should it be ok?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

i didnt drain the carbs on mine i just put stabil and a full tank and let it run through...

but, i also run my bike for over ten minutes every two weeks or so, and try take a spin around the block if i can...

it should probably be fine but def dont take my word for it im just speaking from my bikes experience... (i have a 96 too)

maybe you could try to run it and make your decision from there good luck

Old 12-28-2009, 11:53 PM

well, running it every two weeks isn't really an option, cause around here sometimes nothing is the high (0 degrees). So it's not tuned for that so not bueno for the engine, and not safe to ride it around with the snow and ice around, plus it's naked now for the winter so I can work on it come february in the pre season, where there are some warmer days to do the valves, but still not clear enough to be safe.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 AM

drain them. run the bike with the petcock on off to burn off all gas floating in them. once its all gone and the motor stalls out, or just about stalls out, turn off the bike and manually drain the bowls using the drain screws. make sure to put a rag or some sort of catch under the spouts so you arnt draining the gas all over the engine.

process takes about 20 minutes tops.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:13 AM

Can I get to the drain screws with the gas tank and airbox on? All the fairings are off for now. I've never done it before, so more detail would be very appreciated. Such as which screws are the drain screws and what not. Also, is there anything different I would have to do to start it in the spring, or will the fuel just rise to the float level when I turn it on?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM

when you start it in the spring, make sure the battery is charged cause it will take you a good couple tries for the gas to make it to the carbs. usually about 3-5 attempts and it will try to start up. has to be sucked into fuel pump, then pushed through the fuel lines into the carbs and into the bowls.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

yea i understand the weather situation. just do what they said haha

Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Default start bike

and run up to temp every week you will have no problems thats what i do with mine leaving gas in carbs unleaded will always give you problems later , you can get it stuttering and if you strip balance blow out and clean after it dont always work?? left with dead spots or not smooth for what just turn key start for 15 20mins charges every week through winter

Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put seafoam in the tank which is like stable. Ran the bike with it for 10-15 min's and turn the peacock to off and ran it till it died. After that I start her up once a month and its cold up here as well yet I have a heated garage. Always starts right up. You will have to crank it a couple of times to get gas in the bowls.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 PM

Will it foul out the plugs or make it run otherwise bad to do harm to it though in an unheated garage? cause it's rarely above 30 degrees around here

Quick Reply: Wether or not to drain the carbs