CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

went down..not having a motorcycle hurts more than the wreck

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: went down..not having a motorcycle hurts more than the wreck

Hey, thanks for all the help guys,

ynkss: If i dont use it, youll be first to know

ptowns: haha, yes, that is right...and i think im going to fix it..reason being: i like having a motorcycle..with the parts ive already found i think it will cost me about $1000 give or take (probably give, as it usually is lol) and being very very very optimistic, i could MAYBE get $1000 by parting it out. cost to fix + oppurtunity cost = $2000 and i do not think i could get a bike that i really like for this much, and that is my reasoning.
Ive already found forks which are one of the more expensive things i will need and i know a guy that owns a paint shop and will paint it for pretty much the price of paint. Both of these are factored in my $1000 estimate. Thank you for the thought, both sides should always be argued

cannon: thanks man, yea i already have a manual and am also a strong believer in not paying people to work on any vehicle/bike of mine because they take too long and cost too much and usually fix "optional parts" lol

marc: thanks, and that was a pretty accurate estimate..i need all of those things lol and i will probably pm you sooner or later...

i think im going to try and fix it...like i said, i found a shop that has my front end. it is used but as far as plastic and stuff goes, its going to get painted anyway. color suggestions? im curious about the forks though, being that they are used...im guessing it would be a good idea to rebuild them (new fork seals, new springs?? and whatever else)?? You can tell if fork seals need to be replaced right?, what about springs, is there anything else i should check?

The shop opens agian on tuesday (thursday right now) so my front end is secured for a little while

Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 PM

i would fix it for sure, i got some bites on my F3 that i listed yesterday for $3400

Old 07-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitchapalooza, I was looking on eBay and found this.It's afront end that also includes the wheel. It might be worth bidding on if it doesn't get too high.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...52641339QQrdZ1

Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Bummer to hear about the little "run in", lucky you walked away from it. I'd fix it if I were you too, these bikes cantake one hell of a hit and still operate fine. How does the front rim look? That's what was messed up on mine after I ditched it. Rotors were warped from hitting the twisted forks and the rim itself is warped too. Keep me in mind if you wanna check your rim yourself, or wanna get rid of it. Best of luck, and take your time.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever end up putting in a bid on that front end at all?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 PM
RCR

Before you buy any parts,tear the bike down andgo to your local steel shop and buy two pieces of tubing the same diameter as your forks. Install them in place of your forks and measure the hell out of the thing to make sure your head or triple clamps are not bent.

Level the bike, make sure handlebars are striaght and lock em down some how so they won't move. use a level across both fork tubes to make sure ones not bent back and use a angle finder to make sure there not bent back towards the frame and make sure it's at factory specs. If that all checks out fix her up!!

A few years back my buddy slammed his (v-65 magna)into curb (around 40-45mph) we replaced the forks and rim and when he took it out I was behind him and the bike was riding crooked and he had to shift his wieght to make it ride striaght. He couldn't ride it, it was all over the place in corners. needles to say he dropped close to $1200 on everything and it was unridable and we couldn't find any one with a frame striaghtner to fix it so he parted it out.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM

i have the same bike . same paint job and all. just last saturday i was in a hit and run. (look at my hit and run post in off topic) im still waiting as to what the insurance comp. is going to offer me. if i can get the cost of the bike, plus my gear and my new tires i paid for, ill take the settlement. otherwise, im will be forced to rebuild just like you. so you might be hearing from me soon. send a pm.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Glad to hear you made it out ok, the bike is fixable from what I see. But just like a previous poster said, take everything off, look at the frame and if you see and stress marking on any part of the frame, then it is done.

You can actually build a bike from ebay, I built my first bike from partsfrom ebay for around $600,won a clean title frame for $25.00 with $75.00 shipping. Took the frame to the shop they put is on some type of machine that had a laser light show and printed out specs and all was good cost of $150.00. Installed the engine and just started ordering parts. Took me about a year to do so, but got it done.

Don't feel bad, the hardest part from me when I got back on the bike is my confidence. Been three weeks now and I am ok, but some times that thought pops up.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 PM

first off happy your ok man after doin a put back together after a crash i know how you feel . hit ebay man thats what i did ebay n the classifieds in here , once everything is ok with the frame put her back together piece by piece