CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

went down..not having a motorcycle hurts more than the wreck

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went down..not having a motorcycle hurts more than the wreck

Alright guys...So i was on my way back to work the other day, riding down the left lane of a state road that I ride daily. Now im not quite sure which one happened, but one of the following:
1. Someone was pulling a u-turn
2. Someone pulled out accoss the first lane and stopped in the second (my lane)

At first i thought #1 was the scenario, but the more i think about it, the more i think someone just pulled out and stopped in the lane. Either way, the car behind him had to stop to compensate for the u-turn guy.

there was a car in front of me and in front of him was u-turny guy.
me--->guy i hit--->u-turn guy
Long story short..(if its not too late) i rear ended the middle guy, bounced of his rear window and landed on an 8 inch curb with my legs in the street and my body in the median...SUCKED...luckily, and thankfully, i am alright, and still hold my record of no broken bones

Anyway, the real point of this is that i need some opinions to make me feel better. I was cruising about 40mph. In the time i saw the car to the time that i hit it, i slowed down to at least 30 MAYBE 20mph... The bike ('95 f3) still starts, but i think i cracked about every piece of plastic on it. The front is not too happy (the cracked headlight still works! haha) and one fork is questionable but the other one has like a 20 degree bend in it...I am wishfully hoping that the frame is alright (opinions on that are welcomed)...my main concern is the steering stem?? (is that the right word, sorry,) front part of the frame, handle bars, steering, (im sure i sound like a retard)...anyway, use your imagination, you know what im talking about....I know that i need to take it to a dealership/repair place (which im going to)..but im having trouble finding one at the moment..(theres one motorcycle shop here and all they do is rip you off and give bad advice) In the meantime im hoping you can give me some peace of mind.

**i also would like to say, u-turn guy just kept driving, i dont know if he even knew what happened. The state of mind i was in directly afterwards was not the most functional...i just wanted my bike to be on two wheels and me on two feet, and didnt really care about anything else. so it came up as i rear-ended someone---my fault (which it is). Anyway, please no: who's fault/insurance talk, because that all done and over with, and i only had liability anyway.

Lastly while i am new to this forum, ive been riding for 3 years, i know that i am far from the best rider, but also far from inexperienced so whatever thats worth...

i cant get over not being able to ride, but at least i can walk

sorry for the book i just wrote

Old 07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Default RE: went down..not having a motorcycle hurts more than the wreck

Sorry to hear about you accident - bet you shat yourself ! Sounds to me like you would be better of getting a new bike as it sounds like yours is pretty badly beat up and would probably never be the same again, its easy for me to say this but I know how attached to our bikes us bikers get.
Is that always the case the **** that causes the accident doen't actually get involved and drives away b*stards.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Yea that is true, it is beaten up...its the whole running into the back of a car that has me worried...if i just laid it down at 20-30mph i wouldnt be as worried.. ive read about some guys laying it down at way higher speeds, and there frame supposedly made it, but running it into the back of a car seems like it would bend something important.

So does this sound ridiculous or is it just me:

I called the crappy worthless bike shop in town and they said i could bring it by and the guy would look at it....literally...they told me this guy will LOOK at it and tell me if anything is wrong..no frame machine, no lasers or anything... Somehow i dont think i would be confident with any answer this guy told me..crazy or not??

Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the bike, but glad you're OK.

It sounds like the repairs will cost a lot more than a '95 would ever be worth. You're probably better off parting out everything that survived the crash.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM

i tried to attach some pictures...if they work, sorry you have to see them

Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM

So i found a shop that has an f3 front end. I can get pretty much everything relatively cheap from them, which i really want to do... I know it will be expensive to fix, but im a poor college student that cant afford a new or used one, its really my only option if i want to have a bike. This is of course if the frame is not bent, otherwise i will part it out. I talked to a pretty respected shop (cycle re-cycle, for whoever's from indiana) and two different people there said they would be surprised if i had bent the frame. I cant find anyone that will check it for me and really dont know what to do now. it would seem stupid to put money into without knowing if i have a straight frame...This suuuuuuucks

Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM

ill buy your right upper fairing if your getting a whole new upper, and if its not too beat up, just let me know

Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 PM

so basically what you just said is that you were at fault in an accident and don't have insurance coverage.

is that right?

because otherwise there is no reason for you to be fixing your bike.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:20 PM

so basically what you just said is that you were at fault in an accident and don't have insurance coverage.

is that right?

because otherwise there is no reason for you to be fixing your bike.
LOL seems to me hes basically saying "is it worth to fix my bike." [X(] HELL YEA, its hella fun to lol. as far as taking to a shop, i think if you have any mechanicle ability you should do all the work yourself. these bikes go together so simply, if you just look @ it for a moment its goes together in your head. not to mention i have a work manual err whatever which breaks every single part down plain as day. except little things like how you get that &^%&^$% damn bulb out of the headlight lol. you can find most parts relatively cheap on eBay. and i think in the end you will need to spend more on paint than anything. stay positive, make sure everything is MECHANICAL sound and if so go from there and piece it together.. the thing rides great naked, so no neeeeeed to stress fairings! zip ties for your headlight and gauges, your good to go until you can afford the rest.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the wreck. I've been in a similar situation where I went down and had to repair the bike on my own because I don't have comprehensive coverage. About the F3 frame, they are tough sons'a'bitches. Honda used steel tubing and it takes a really, really hard hit to bend them. About the only thing I have ever seen bend on a F3 frame is the tail section (Unfortunately they are welded). Like cannon said, these bikes just about put themselves together. Get yourself a manual and read up on it because it is going to become your second best friend. My guess from looking at your pictures is that your upper stay is toast, fork(s) are toast, headlight (toast), and the upper plastic. I couldn't get a good look at your triple clamps but my guess is that they are ok because they are pretty damn tough too. Look for twisting or stress marks in the metal of the upper and lower triple clamps and if there is...look oneBay. Majority of the parts you can find on eBay. Watch out for aftermarket plastics because they don't always line up the way they should. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: went down..not having a motorcycle hurts more than the wreck