CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Way to test choke with carbs removed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way to test choke with carbs removed?

Is there a way that I can make the choke sliders inside my carb open up using suction? I blew air in the middle tube and it opened up the choke valves but whenever I create a suction on any of the tubes/hoses, it doesn't open up. Is there a certain way to do it or does it have to be connected to the engine to work? I'm getting nervous that my choke will be stuck. My bike is a 98 cbr f3.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Bump

Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The chock is the plate that slides across the intakes. It is connected to a cable on the right side of the bike/carbs that runs to the left grip. The F4i is the first to operate with an automatic choke, I believe. All the vacume is internal on the F3.

Ern

Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

choke is completely mechanical / manual on the F3. The choke lever pulls the plate open and the spring (iirc) pulls it close. No vacuum actuates it. All you can do with the carbs removed is make sure the plate moves freely

Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 PM

+1 to Kuro, he says it better, but that's what I meant. the vac internal was refering to
the jets, etc. and that there is no actuation for anything external to the carbs. ;-)

Ern

Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Possible he means the Carb slides? If so, again it's check that they slide freely. After that, bike has to be put together so you can measure the vacuum created by the engine.

Is there a particular reason for the question?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM

I know that it is manually operated by a cable but that doesnt physically open the choke. It activates a vacuum that opens/closes the slides. So is there a way to test that or do I just need to mount it on the bike and test it when the engine is running?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by southpole560
I know that it is manually operated by a cable but that doesnt physically open the choke. It activates a vacuum that opens/closes the slides. So is there a way to test that or do I just need to mount it on the bike and test it when the engine is running?
No, the cable physically opens and closes the choke plate. No vacuum is involved. Cold starts are done by opening the choke THEN starting the engine.

Either we're not talking about the same thing or possibly your choke plate is physically stuck closed. As I said, you should be able to physically slide it open freely and a spring closes it. On the bike, the cable may need adjustment to fully open / close the choke

Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Here is a video I took
CBR600 F3 Choke - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Ok, the slider thing is the choke (the second thing you showed). It has those oval-ish
holes that goes across the air-intake. When it is in the closed position it partially
restricts the amount of air that can be pulled INTO the carbs (i.e. choke the air flow).

The first things you were showing pins that seat on the fuel-intakes. YES, these are controlled by the vacumme. These are your main jets (I believe, my carb experience is still rather juvenile. That's why we keep IDoDirt around, lol).

Here is a fiche of your carbs...HONDA OF TULSA 1998 Honda Street Bike CBR600F3 Parts List

There is no testing that I'm aware of to be done to carbs while dismounted.
The only thing you do to the carbs is a minor dis-assembly of the fuel jets, and cleaning. then re-assemble and ball-park the main jets to allow final sync with the bike running.

I hope this helps your understanding, Ern

Quick Reply: Way to test choke with carbs removed?