CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

various problems with my '97 F3 :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation various problems with my '97 F3 :(

Hey guys,

So ive been riding my F3 for about a year now, admittedly im not the most mechanically minded person so I apologise in advance about my lack of knowledge!

So my first issue is that my bike rattles, somewhere down the front end of the bike, but its not constant its intermittent and from what I can tell its not within certain rpm ranges, but I cant tell what could be causing it, does anyone have any ideas on what it could be and its costs?

My second problem is when I brake (rear) there is a grinding noise, but again its not constant...new pads maybe?

Third problem, I ride and the bike changes gear smoothly enough For a bike her age, I come to a stop and have to destroy my foot trying to put it into neutral, riding is fine its just trying to put it into neutral, obviously this is probably a gear box issue....anyone know how much this could cost?

Fourth problem...not so much a problem more a search for opinion I want a new pipe, mine is still standard and is quieter than a mouses fart, any one know of a cheap but good sounding exhaust? Also how easy are they to replace?
Another opinion I need is in regards to scratches, her previous owner wasn't so careful and dropped her, do any of you know where I can get these fairings fixed?

I Know I have a lot of queries and have probably mis used the forum in some way, I just need some advice!

Skott19

Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First issue, possibly the cam-chain tensioner (CCT) needs replacement.
Does it sound like "bb's rattling in a can"? That is the most common
description of that particular issue.

Second problem, yes, sounds like worn pads.
However, I recommend doing a complete run-through on the calipers and the mounts.
Fluid change and clean/polish/re-pack the hanger pins, as a minimum.
I don't bother with seals, unless there is signs of weeping.

Third...before you get nervous about mechanical failure, try adjustment.

Clean/lube the cables, check the adjustment/feel of the clutch cable.
If you feel any drag after clean/lubing and/or you can't keep the 3/8"
of proper slack in the clutch lever, cable is probably worn/frayed and needs replacement.

Check the toe-shift, is it comfortable? If it's too high, you strain to lift it fully up.
There is a 2-piece shaft, that connects the bell-cranks.
Shorten it to lower the toe, lengthen it to lift it.
Be sure to firmly lock it down, afterwards.

It's common for these, easily corrected adjustments, to imitate more serious issues.
Address them first, eliminates them as the cause of complaint,
AND is good maintenance practice.

Exhaust mods? Me, personally, I prefer stock over anything that isn't on a track.
Honda spends millions of dollars, perfecting the tune of the engine, in terms of 'real world' use.

Plus, since 1994-ish, EPA and federal law, makes it a illegal to modify,
if the bike is for street use.

Finally, I prefer to hear what's going on around me. So I have always tended
towards discretion being the better profile.
Saves a lot of dirty/annoyed looks, as well.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 06-08-2013, 02:18 AM

sometimes the shift detent spring or selector goes wonky. Search for Factory Pro shift kit. Check out this link in the forum too. https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...l-howto-65393/

Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 PM

I have a Vance & Hines SSR2 slip-on exhaust. VERY nice, clean sound. I recently cut about 4 inches off of it and removed 1/4 of packing. Its quite loud now. No power loss and its not obnoxiously loud. I have heard D&D makes a nice pipe for the F3 aswell. Good luck. Check craigslist for bikes being parted out. You can score some pipes cheap.

also, theyre very easy to remove/install. Just a bolt and springs. But, changing exhaust means you may have to re jet.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 06-09-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Double Post